Trends and Updates in the TCPA: Significant Compliance Tips and Strategies
Companies affected by the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) continue to face waves of class action filings as plaintiffs' lawyers keep on targeting various industries. As courts deal with unsettled issues such as third-party liability standards, agency deference's scope, and consent revocation, companies that use telecommunications to reach consumers are burdened with a myriad of compliance challenges.
This upward litigation trend is a sobering reminder of the importance of ensuring and establishing a strong TCPA compliance program that will help businesses ward off lawsuits and potential risk exposure.
Our panel of key thought leaders and practitioners brought together by The Knowledge Group will offer a discussion of the latest and significant issues surrounding TCPA compliance. This LIVE Webcast aims to help companies avoid common pitfalls and risk issues through effective compliance tips and strategies.
Key topics include:
- TCPA Enforcement: Recent Trends and Updates
- Notable Cases
- Top Risk Issues
- Best Compliance Practices
Stoel Rives LLP
- Consent and Revocation of Consent
- Anticipating California Telecommunication Regulation
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Know Your Equipment:
- How to assess your dialing and texting systems by jurisdiction and functionality.
- What is the comparative TCPA risk profile of texting vs. calling? New standing arguments and class action considerations.
- Know Your Message:
- Is the message “advertising” or “telemarketing”? Current case trends and considerations.
- Common “business to business” pitfalls and how to avoid them.
- Know and Manage Your Vendors:
- Key components to manage call/text vendor risks.
- Key contract terms for call/text vendor agreements.
- Other third party relationships that impact TCPA compliance and litigation defense.
- Know Your Compliance Resources:
- How the FCC’s Reassigned Phone Number Database can reduce risks.
- How to leverage third party and in house resources to drive TCPA compliance and risk mitigation.
- Anticipate the Future:
- Why are we still waiting for the FCC’s new TCPA omnibus and what will it mean for TCPA practitioners anyway?
- New developments in class action waivers and arbitration agreements.
- How California’s Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) (eff. 1/1/20) may impact TCPA compliance and how to prepare.
Who Should Attend:
- TCPA Lawyers
- Marketing and Advertising Lawyers and Officers
- Privacy and Data Management Officers
- In-House Legal and Compliance Executives
- C-Suite Executives
Tom Woods is a complex civil litigator with multiparty, mass tort and class action litigation experience. He represents corporate and individual clients in state and federal courts, and at arbitration, in cases involving a range of issues including: real estate disputes; breaches of contract; breaches of fiduciary duties and duties of loyalty; misappropriation of trade secrets; fraud; negligence; contractual and equitable indemnity; unfair, unlawful and fraudulent business practices; and shareholder derivative claims. Tom’s corporate clients span industries from medical device and household product manufacturing to banking and lending.
Tom Woods is a complex civil litigator with multiparty, mass tort and class action litigation experience. He represents corporate and …
Scott is a litigation partner and Co-Chair of Dorsey’s TCPA Practice. He routinely defends clients in nationwide class and individual plaintiff litigation, with particular emphasis on alleged violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). Scott has defended over 30 putative class actions and countless individual plaintiff claims involving the TCPA and other State and Federal consumer protection statutes. He works with clients of all sizes and industries to comply with the myriad of laws regulating communication for debt collection or marketing purposes. Scott and his team prepare a monthly e-newsletter regarding TCPA and other consumer protection law developments.
Scott is a litigation partner and Co-Chair of Dorsey’s TCPA Practice. He routinely defends clients in nationwide class and individual …
Print and review course materials
Method of Presentation:
General knowledge of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
NY Category of CLE Credit:
Areas of Professional Practice
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3
Get Your 1-Year All Access Pass For Only $199
About Stoel Rives LLP
Stoel Rives is a leading U.S. corporate and litigation law firm. One of the largest national firms focused on energy, natural resources, climate change and the environment, Stoel Rives also serves the agribusiness, food and beverage, health care, life sciences, and technology industries. With more than 350 attorneys operating out of 10 offices in seven states and the District of Columbia, Stoel Rives is a leader in regulatory and compliance matters, and business, labor and employment, intellectual property, land use, and real estate development and construction law.
About Dorsey & Whitney LLP
Since 1912, companies have relied on the lawyers at Dorsey & Whitney to help give them the edge they need to succeed in a highly competitive world. With 585 attorneys in 19 offices across the United States, Canada, Europe and Asia, we are able to serve clients in nearly all industries, but we focus on six in which we have great depth and a history of achieving client success. Banking and Financial Institutions being one of them.
Through extensive trial and counseling experience, our attorneys leverage highly effective motion to dismiss theories, class certification arguments, insurance coverage strategies, class notification strategies, and claims management strategies to our clients’ benefit. Dorsey’s deep and committed industry knowledge with practical and efficient legal advice provides our clients with the best of both worlds – boutique industry focus with the depth of a large law firm.