Social Media in Marketing: The Dos and Don’ts in 2015
Social media is evolving very quickly and encompasses a wider range of media and subjects than it did a year ago. Companies often make the mistake of trying to focus upon all forms of media to the exclusion of a sensible and effective approach to marketing in appropriate media. Hence, they run the risk of sending the wrong message and even violating the law; as has happened with excessively brief advertising of regulated products on Twitter.
With so many newly emerging opportunities in social media such as video, mobile, and even in basic advertising, a pragmatic approach is needed to organize and budget for social media marketing. More companies allow or even encourage their employees to be advocates of their brands which has significant benefits, but also poses some serious risks.
In this two hour, live webcast, a panel of thought leaders and practitioners assembled by The Knowledge Group will discuss the most significant issues of Social Media in Marketing. The speakers will provide advice and best practices to ensure the development of a sensible and compliant social media strategy for marketing in 2015 & beyond.
- Social Media’s Role in Marketing
- Social Media Policies and Regulatory Issues
- Major Challenges and the Dos and Don’ts of Social Media
- Practical Implications of Social Media on Marketers
- Social Media and Corporate Identity
- Reputation Management
- Empowering Employees With Social Media
- Monitoring Platforms and Metric Analysis
- Best Practices and Strategies for Using Social Media in Marketing
- Compliance Programs and Risk Mitigation
- Potential Sanctions and Liabilities
- Understanding the extent of employee usage and the problems employees can cause
- Avoiding the wrath of the NLRB
- Monitoring employee use of social media and applicable law
- Use of social media in the hiring process in a lawful manner
Warner Norcross & Judd LLP
- When can you use other people’s IP in social media? What procedures, policies and controls should you put in place
- What are the rules about product endorsements for social media (FTC rules, etc.)
- The dangers of false advertising in social media
Holmes Weinberg, PC
- Branding and social media – which, if any, social media platforms are consistent with your brand?
- Discuss different platforms and what works and doesn’t work for specific consumers
- Brand persona – is social media the right fit
- Examples of what has worked and hasn’t worked
- Understanding the multi cultures within your organization and how they affect what is said and what is not
- setting up internal controls
- Should you use outside vendors (social media agencies, ad agencies) for social media, and if so, what procedures, policies and controls should be in place?
- How to best manage licensee/franchisee use of social media for licensed IP
- What are the best guidelines for allowing others to use your IP in social media
- The different kinds of IP
- What’s high risk and what’s not
- Global (international) use of social media marketing – what works and doesn’t work
Who Should Attend:
- Social Media Managers
- New Media Attorneys
- Ethics Officers
- Commercial and Contract Managers
- Chief Marketing Officers
- Chief Risk Officers
- Brand Managers
- Marketing and Advertising Professionals
- Public Relations Managers
- Chief Information Officers
- Media and Telecommunication Attorneys
- Business Development Managers
Margo Wolf O’Donnell is a Shareholder at Vedder Price and a member of her firm’s Litigation and Labor and Employment practice areas. Margo has received numerous accolades for her work defending companies in cases involving breach of contract, business torts and employment issues, as well as for her training and counseling in the prevention of litigation, including social media issues. Law Bulletin Publishing Company recognized Margo as one of 15 "Women Making an Impact" in its first edition of Women in Law, and selected Margo for its inaugural “40 under 40 Hall of Fame” award. Today's Chicago Woman magazine featured Ms. O'Donnell as one of its "100 Women to Watch" and Illinois Super Lawyers has repeatedly picked Margo as one of the “Top 100 Attorneys in Illinois,” and “Top 50 Women Attorneys in Illinois.” Margo holds an “AV Preeminent” Peer Rating by Martindale-Hubbell (the highest possible rating). She was honored as one of The Best Lawyers in America, and Legal 500 United States recognizes Margo in the Labor and Employment—Workplace and Employment Counseling category. Margo also is a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation and the Litigation Counsel of America. Margo graduated magna cum laude with distinction from Yale University, and she received her juris doctorate from the University of Michigan Law School. She can be reached at email@example.com or 312. 609.7609.
Margo Wolf O’Donnell is a Shareholder at Vedder Price and a member of her firm’s Litigation and Labor and Employment …
Janet Ramsey is the chair of the Advertising and Marketing Law Group at Warner Norcross & Judd LLP, in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Janet has 14 years of experience counseling clients on a range of advertising and marketing law issues, including intellectual property disputes, compliance with Truth-in-Advertising laws, challenging competitor advertising, and defending advertising challenges. As a litigator, Janet is uniquely positioned to assess real-life risk for clients in the ever-changing advertising landscape. Janet can be reached at 616-752-2736 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Janet Ramsey is the chair of the Advertising and Marketing Law Group at Warner Norcross & Judd LLP, in Grand …
Steven Weinberg is a founding partner of Holmes Weinberg PC, a boutique entertainment, intellectual property, technology, media and branding law firm based in Malibu CA. Steven consistently has been identified as one of the leading lawyers in his fields of practice, including recognition in Best Lawyers in America, Southern California Super Lawyers, the LA Business Journal, the TMR 1000, and Who’s Who in International Business Law. He has been counseling his clients on branding, media, technology, advertising and promotional activities and issues for over 30 years, and has been practicing interactive media and marketing laws since the late 1980’s. His clients include and have included many of the best known retailers, consumer products, digital and software technology, food and beverage and fashion industry companies in the country, as well as many start-ups and smaller companies in these industries. Celebrities and media personalities, leading film, video and television production companies, major studios and record labels also are and have been his clients. Admitted in California, New York and Arizona, Steven’s practice today consists of counseling, transactions and litigation in entertainment, branding and trademarks, online and social media, online and mobile technology, advertising and marketing, copyright, rights of publicity, and licensing. He also serves as outside general counsel to the world’s largest language interpretation company, and a number of smaller companies in social media, mobile technology, entertainment, fashion and retail industries.
Steven Weinberg is a founding partner of Holmes Weinberg PC, a boutique entertainment, intellectual property, technology, media and branding law …
Print and review course materials
Method of Presentation:
On-demand Webcast (CLE)
NASBA Field of Study:
NY Category of CLE Credit:
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3
Get Your 1-Year All Access Pass For Only $199
About Vedder Price
Vedder Price enjoys an outstanding reputation as a leading employment law firm, with strong credentials and experience representing private- and public-sector management clients of all sizes on a wide range of employment matters—from Equal Employment Opportunity counseling and litigation to employee benefits and international employment law issues. Our attorneys combine deep employment law knowledge with experience in the manufacturing, construction, transportation, retail, health care, mining, airline, food, telecommunications, financial services, insurance and publishing industries, to name just a few.
About Warner Norcross & Judd LLP
By providing discerning and proactive legal advice, Warner Norcross & Judd LLP builds a better partnership with its clients. Warner Norcross is a corporate law firm with 230 attorneys practicing in eight offices throughout Michigan. To learn more about our Advertising and Marketing Law group, visit https://wnj.com/Practices/Advertising-and-Marketing-Law. To learn more about the firm, visit https://www.wnj.com/, follow us on Twitter @WNJLLP or connect on LinkedIn.
About Holmes Weinberg, PC
Holmes Weinberg PC is a boutique law firm based in Malibu CA with lawyers in California, New York and London. Consistently recognized as a Best Law Firm in America and its principals regularly recognized as leading lawyers in their practice areas, its focus is on deals, counseling, transactions and litigation involving intellectual property assets, primarily in the fields of entertainment, brands and branding, software and mobile technologies and media. It also has a worldwide trademark filing practice. Its clients include Academy Award® and Emmy Award® winning entertainment professionals, major athletes, a number of the world’s most recognized brands, and a wide spectrum of smaller companies and individual entrepreneurs in the entertainment, food & beverage, fashion, fitness, technology, media, and mobile spaces. The firm also has an extensive brand consulting business, assisting brands, celebrities and media personalities in developing and exploiting their brands, designing and implementing effective brand expansion, as well as consumer and internal communications, including the use of social and other interactive media.