Managing 401(k), 403(b) and Other Retirement Plans for 2011 and Beyond
The recent economic tsunami has fundamentally changed the way Plan Sponsors and Fiduciaries look at retirement products. A cohesive updated strategy is more important now than ever.
While some things will remain the same such as contribution limits for 401(k)s, 403(b)s, 457(b)s and other issues will require a fresh new look.
The Knowledge Group is assembling a panel of key experts and thought leaders to help walk you through the most significant issues in the mix. They will discuss:
- Roth IRA Contribution Parameters and Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) Limits
- In Plan Roth Conversion Requirements
- Lifetime income options for DC plans- what's on the horizon?
- Trends in managing plan investment lineups and the impact of the new DOL participant disclosure rules.
- Pros and cons of retirement plan accounts vs.. IRAs- from the participant's perspective.
- And other up to the minute regulatory updates and issues including questions submitted by you!
Joseph F. Rankin, Partner, Employee Benefits Consulting,
Plante & Moran
- Roth IRA vs. Traditional IRA
- Differences in eligibility and rules/limits
- Which may provide better benefits and for whom
- Establishing a Roth IRA
- Process for adopting
- Eligibility Rules/Requirements
- Income/Contribution/Distribution Limits/MAGI
- Converting Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA
- Significant Factors, Tax Consequences/Benefits
- Eligibility and Conversion Rules/Requirements
- Rollovers to Roth IRA
- Roth Inside of a 401k/403b/457b
- Elective Deferrals as Roth Contributions
- Roth Conversions Inside Plans
- Deemed IRAs (IRAs Inside Retirement Plans)
Louis T. Mazawey, Principal,
Groom Law Group Chartered
- Lifetime Income Options For DC Plans
- Products available in the market place
- Key fiduciary issues confronting plan sponsors
- Qualified plan compliance challenges
- Participant perspectives – pros and cons of various options
Pros and Cons of Retirement Plan Accounts vs. IRAs – The Participant's Perspective Investment considerations – available alternatives, fees and advisory arrangements Distribution planning – payout options, tax considerations and charitable giving Dealing with life events – divorce, bankruptcy and estate planning
Richard L. Menson, Partner,
McGuire Woods LLP
- The IRS is increasing its audits of 403b plans and 401k plans. Find out what they are uncovering and how plan sponsors should respond to the audit activity.
- There have been a proliferation of both proposed regulations and final regulations of which all plan sponsors will need to be aware. Find out how to satisfy the requirements of those regulations.
- How will the Labor Department's proposed regulations on the definition of fiduciary affect your plans.
- Is automatic enrollment and automatic escalation affecting participant's behavior.
Who Should Attend:
- Plan Sponsors & Fiduciaries
- Retirement Plan Practicing Lawyers
- Employee Benefits & Compensation Lawyers and Consultants
- Payroll and Benefits Administrators
- Human Resource & Benefits Personnel
- Retirement plan financial professionals
- Retirement plan sponsors
- Public Companies
- Private Companies
Employee Benefit Consulting Group Leader
Joe joined Plante & Moran in 1997 and has more than 25 years of employee benefits and human resource consulting experience with a wide variety of employers including profit, not-for-profit and governmental entities as well as middle market and Fortune 500 companies. His focus on numerous issues surrounding employee benefits includes the implementation of Financial Accounting Standards and Concept Statements as well as the legislated compliance programs for employee benefit plans.
His practice specialization is in design, consulting, and tax compliance issues associated with health and welfare plans as well as qualified and nonqualified employee benefit plans.
▷ Responsible for a team of attorneys, CPAs, and actuarially trained professionals that specialized and practice exclusively in employee benefits consulting.
▷ Practice includes consulting with over 4,000 employee benefit plan design and /or compliance engagements annually.
▷ Deep in expertise and practical experience in IRS and DOL employee benefits compliance programs, including, but not limited to: Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System, Administrative Policy Regarding Self Correction,
Voluntary Compliance Program, Voluntary Fiduciary Correction Program and
Delinquent Filer Voluntary Compliance Program.
▷ The firm-wide technical leader in employee benefit plan tax, accounting, and reporting issues.
▷ Responsible for interpreting new benefit legislation and developments in the profession and provides the firm and its clients with advice and guidance on such developments.
▷ The Ohio State University, bachelors of arts, actuarial mathematics, magna cum laude
Professional Affiliations and Activities
▷ Conference of Consulting Actuaries
▷ American Society of Pension Actuaries
Employee Benefit Consulting Group Leader Joe joined Plante & Moran in 1997 and has more than 25 years of employee …
Louis T. Mazawey has over 35 years of experience with the firm working on matters related to the tax aspects of employee benefits. He has served as counsel to major insurance companies and a variety of plan sponsors, including corporate employers, multiemployer plans, trade associations, and public retirement systems. Mr. Mazawey has worked with virtually all forms of benefit plans and compensation arrangements, including qualified plans, 403(b) and 457 plans, IRAs, employee stock ownership plans, executive compensation, retiree medical benefits, plan terminations, mergers and spinoffs, the tax treatment of plan participants, the unrelated business income tax, and the use of life insurance and annuities in employee benefit programs.
Mr. Mazawey is a frequent speaker and writer on issues in the employee benefits area. He co-chairs the annual ALI-ABA Program, Retirement, Deferred Compensation and Welfare Plans of Tax-Exempt and Governmental Employers presented each September in Washington, D.C. He serves on the editorial boards of the Journal of Deferred Compensation and the Journal of Pension Planning and Compliance. He is also an active member of the Employee Benefits Committee of the Tax Section of the American Bar Association where he has chaired various Subcommittees and Task Forces.
Louis T. Mazawey has over 35 years of experience with the firm working on matters related to the tax aspects …
Mr. Menson, a partner in the Atlanta office of McGuireWoods LLP, handles executive compensation and employee benefits related matters for publicly and privately held corporations, trusts, banks, insurance companies and various other entities.
He is the former chair of the Joint Committee on Employee Benefits of the American Bar Association. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Profit Sharing / 401k Council of America and a Member of its Legal and Legislative Committee.
He received a Juris Doctor from Northwestern Law School, a Master of Law in Taxation from George Washington University, and a Bachelor of Arts from Ripon College.
Mr. Menson, a partner in the Atlanta office of McGuireWoods LLP, handles executive compensation and employee benefits related matters for …
Print and review course materials
Method of Presentation:
On-demand Webcast (CLE)
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3
Get Your 1-Year All Access Pass For Only $199
About Plante & Moran
Established in 1924, Plante Moran is the nation’s 12th largest certified public accounting and business advisory firm serving clients throughout the United States and abroad with 21 locations and more than 1,600 staff.
For the past 12 years, Plante & Moran has been a one of FORTUNE magazine’s list of the ‘100 Best Companies to Work For’ in America. We’ve also been cited by Human Resources Executive Magazine as one of the 18 best places to work for millennials. Our winning culture translates into strong staff retention, more efficient use of our client’s time and more opportunity for staff to collaborate on projects. All of these result in an unparalleled experience for our clients.
About McGuireWoods LLP