Legal Series: Product Liability for 2016 and Beyond
As consumer market is increasingly globalized, product liability enforcement action has been a lot stricter and more sophisticated than it was before. This inevitable change resulted for both consumers and consumer authorities to proactively seek out liable product manufacturers. In order to avoid greater liability risks and financial loss, it is imperative for manufacturers to be aware of the legal developments in product liability.
In a two-hour LIVE Webcast, a panel of key thought leaders and professionals assembled by The Knowledge Group will help the audience understand all the important issues with regards to product liability law. The speakers will also provide an in-depth discussion of this significant topic. The panel will present their expert thoughts and opinions on how to best comply with Product Liability principles.
Key topics include:
- Product Liability – An Overview
- Opportunities and Legal Challenges
- Reporting Requirements in Product Liability Claims
- Purpose of a Product Liability Claim
- Elements of Product Liability Claims
- Parties Involved in a Product Liability Claim
- Up-to-the-minute Developments
- Best Compliance Practices
Pierce, Davis & Perritano, LLP
- Overview of the theories
- Standard defenses to those
- More nuanced defenses
- Expansion of liability – component part defense
- Not regulatory stuff
Morgan & Akins, PLLC
- Tender issues – manufactures and distributors
- Not regulatory stuff
Who Should Attend:
- Product Liability Lawyers
- Product Liability Officers
- Operations Managers
- Public and Private Companies
- Multinational Companies
- Other related/interested Professionals and Organizations
Judith A. Perritano is the Managing Partner of Pierce, Davis & Perritano, LLP. With more than twenty-five years of litigation defense and trial experience, Ms. Perritano has represented a variety of clients over a broad span of industries. The depth and breadth of her experience includes handling a wide variety of multi-party cases, from pre-suit investigation through trial in claims involving product liability, toxic torts, automobile, eminent domain and construction-related claims. The toxic tort claims defended by Ms. Perritano include various environmental exposures, such as asbestos, carbon monoxide, latex and lead, as well as allegations of “sick building syndrome” and multiple chemical sensitivity.
Ms. Perritano also serves as National Coordinating Counsel for an equipment manufacturer and is responsible for developing and directing her client’s strategies through all phases of asbestos defense litigation, including appeal. In connection with this work, Ms. Perritano routinely assists in trial preparation for problematic jurisdictions nationwide. Her efforts include the development of defense experts, the marshaling and coordination of internal, historical and archival documents, and the preparation of detailed and case-specific trial cross-examination outlines for key Plaintiffs’ experts.
Ms. Perritano received her Juris Doctor from Suffolk University Law School (cum laude, 1988), where she was Editor-in-Chief of the Transnational Law Journal.
Judith A. Perritano is the Managing Partner of Pierce, Davis & Perritano, LLP. With more than twenty-five years of litigation …
Patricia Baxter is the Managing Partner of the Philadelphia office, responsible for the day-to-day management of litigation filed in federal and state courts across the county, with a specific focus in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. An active trial attorney, Patricia has successfully tried cases to verdict, but also specializes in early and efficient dispute resolution and assessing early risk transfer opportunities.
Patricia concentrates her practice in several areas, including products liability, where she represents manufacturers and distributors of various powered industrial machinery (i.e. forklifts, work platforms, drill presses, commercial shredding equipment, utility work machines, etc.), rental industrial/commercial equipment, e-commerce automotive parts, food service products, plumbing fixtures, recreational equipment and related component parts
- Obtained summary judgment in pharmaceutical product liability case involving allegations of design defect.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of manufacturer in product liability/amputation case involving design and manufacturing defects in an industrial/high capacity paper shredder.
- Obtained voluntary non-suit in product defect case involving a commercial grade dehumidifier where Plaintiff sustained third-degree burns, working cooperatively with opposing counsel to demonstrate the lack of defect in the product and the alternative cause to his client’s injuries.
- Obtained early nuisance value, confidential settlement in a product defect case on behalf of the manufacturer of an automatic overhead commercial door
- Speaker, Sweeping Developments in Product Liability Insurance: A 2016 Update Webcast, January 15, 2016
- Speaker, CLM 2016 Annual Conference: Product Liability, Tender Issues in Today’s Global Economy
- Speaker, CLM 2015 Annual Conference: Walking the Line: Ethical and Practical Considerations in Deciding When and How to Split the Claims and Coverage Files
Patricia Baxter is the Managing Partner of the Philadelphia office, responsible for the day-to-day management of litigation filed in federal …
Print and review course materials
Method of Presentation:
NASBA Field of Study:
NY Category of CLE Credit:
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3
Get Your 1-Year All Access Pass For Only $199
About Pierce, Davis & Perritano, LLP
Pierce, Davis & Perritano is a full service civil litigation and trial firm based in Boston, and with offices in Rhode Island and Connecticut. The firm represents a wide range of businesses, municipalities, governmental and quasi-governmental agencies, individuals, and their insurers. PDP attorneys concentrate on product liability, toxic tort, municipal liability and other specialty liability litigation. They also have extensive experience providing consultation and litigation services to businesses in areas ranging from contractual relations to employment practices.
About Morgan & Akins, PLLC
At Morgan & Akins our primary goal is to provide the best possible result for the client in the most expeditious and economical manner. The Founding Partners learned through years of experience that the best way to accomplish that goal is to lay excellent groundwork on every file and thoroughly investigate all aspects of each case before the administrative or trial process is well underway. This approach ensures that every Morgan & Akins’ attorney handling a particular file enters into negotiations with opposing counsel fully informed and with a clear evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses of our client’s case. Full investigation of the factual circumstances and corresponding legal ramifications on each file sets Morgan & Akins’ attorneys apart and gives us a competitive edge over our opponents.