Patent Infringement: A Thorough Analysis of 2017 Developments and Their Impacts in 2018
The patent landscape has been under significant developments for the past years. In this LIVE Webcast, a seasoned team of thought leaders and renowned professionals brought together by The Knowledge Group will provide an in-depth discussion of the fundamentals of patent infringement while presenting a thorough analysis of the significant 2017 developments and updates surrounding this topic. Speakers will help audience identify the potential implications of these trends to the year ahead. They will also go beyond the basics and provide practical tips and strategies to avoid common risks and pitfalls while maximizing opportunities.
Key topics include:
- Patent Infringement: A 2018 Perspective
- Significant Court Rulings
- Common Risks and Pitfalls
- Trends and Updates in 2017: Identifying Implications
- What Lies Ahead
Robert Greenfeld, Of Counsel
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- State of § 101 Motions in Patent Infringement Actions:
- The Alice Decision and Federal Circuit decisions decided since
- 2018 Decisions Finding Patent-Eligible Subject Matter: Finjan v. Blue Coat Systems and Core Wireless v. LG
- Recent developments in requirements for bringing a § 101 motion -- Berkheimer v. HP and Aatrix Software v. Green Shades Software
Richard W. Hoffmann, Shareholder
Reising Ethington P.C.
- Patent Venue – How TC Heartland LLC v. Kraft Foods Group Brands LLC changed the patent venue landscape.
- Patent Exhaustion – How Impression Prods., Inc. v. Lexmark Int’l Inc. broadened the doctrine of exhaustion.
- Laches – SCA Hygiene Prods. Aktiebolag v. First Quality Baby Prods. clarified the Laches defense in patent cases.
- Measure of damages for design patent infringement - Did Samsung Electronics Co. LTD v. Apple Inc. narrow available damages for design patent infringement?
Paulo Bianco, Attorney at Law
- Brazilian patent system: strengths and weakness
- The patent litigation dual system: invalidity and infringement actions
- The patent infringement proceeding
- Injunction reliefs
Donald R. McPhail, Senior Counsel
Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP
- Divided infringement: methods claims vs system claims – it’s all about who benefits (Eli Lilly v Teva; Intellectual Ventures v Motorola Mobility);
- Infringement under the Doctrine of Equivalents: update on the hypothetical claim analysis (Jang v Boston Scientific); and
- Claim Construction and IPR: prosecution disclaimer based on patent owner’s response to petition (Aylus Networks v Apple).
Jeffery A. Stec, Ph.D., Managing Director
Berkeley Research Group, LLC
- Economic damages in patent infringement cases
- The use of settlement agreements
- How, if at all, should settlement agreements be used – Prism Technologies v. Sprint Spectrum
- The Entire Market Value Rule
- The impact of Exmark v. Briggs and Stratton on reasonable royalty damages
- Appropriate geographical market for patent damages
- The expected impact of WesternGeco v. Ion Geophysical
- The use of settlement agreements
Who Should Attend:
- Patent Attorneys
- Patent Litigators
- Intellectual Property Attorneys
- In-House Counsel
- IP Consultants and Experts
- Patent Owners
- Patent Licensing Attorneys
- Other Related/Interested professionals
Print and review course materials
Method of Presentation:
Experience in Patent law
NY Category of CLE Credit:
Areas of Professional Practice
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3