Legal Series: Reading & Interpreting Financial Statements
Often attorneys are asked to represent clients involved in complex financial transactions. In order to know your client’s business, you need to know at least how to read and interpret financial statements.
The Knowledge Group has assembled experts to help you as an attorney develop a basic proficiency needed to read & interpret financial statements – giving you a big edge in your value proposition to your clients. This course has been handcrafted for attorneys by attorneys to help give you the knowhow that you need to succeed. It will include detailed guidance, practical examples and with best practices.
James O’Brien, Partner,
- • Basic Financial Statement Overview
- oKey objectives, concepts, and principles
- Types of financial statements
- Notes to financials
- • Interpreting Financial Statements and Supporting Records
- Audit/Review/Compilation/Tax return
- Product Line Financial Statements
- • Financial Statement Analyses
- Common sized financial statements
- Ratio Analysis
- Types of ratios
- Key Ratios
Catherine J. Connolly, Partner,
StoneTurn Group LLP
- • Real world applications (M&A)
- o How the accounting and financial terms in the merger/purchase agreement are phrased vs. the reality of those concepts in practice and on financial statements
- • Varying interpretations and limitations
- • Key financial statement areas that end up being manipulated or misunderstood by either side
- o What are they, what do they represent, what do you look for?
- • Representations and Warranties related to disclosure of financial statement items – common accounting-related components that end up disputed as either not disclosed, or improperly disclosed
Who Should Attend:
- – Attorneys – All Practice Areas
– Attorneys – Finance Related
– General Counsel Particularly Those Employed by Public Companies
– Other Related Professionals
Jim is a partner in ParenteBeard’s Forensic, Litigation & Valuation Services group and has provided a variety of forensic and financial consulting and accounting related services to attorneys, insurance companies, governmental agencies and public and private corporations since 1990. He specializes in providing financial consulting analyses related to matters in dispute. Specifically, the majority of the analyses performed involve litigation and/or insurance claims matters. Responsibilities are carried out through financial and forensic analysis of financial statements and tax returns, general ledgers and other original books of entry, relevant contracts and agreements, and industry data. Jim holds a Bachelor of Science in Accounting from York College of Pennsylvania. He has spoken before professional and educational groups on various aspects of financial analysis, litigation consulting, fraud investigations and economic damages.
Jim is a partner in ParenteBeard’s Forensic, Litigation & Valuation Services group and has provided a variety of forensic and …
Cathy Connolly, a Partner in StoneTurn’s San Francisco office, is a Certified Public Accountant and has over 17 years of forensic accounting, complex business litigation and audit experience. Prior to joining StoneTurn, Cathy worked at “Big 4″ accounting firms in both dispute consulting and audit roles. She has experience with a variety of litigation matters and investigations including accounting-related matters, purchase price and post-acquisition disputes, investigations of improper financial reporting and financial statement restatements, lost profit and business interruption claims and various special audits and investigations.
Cathy Connolly, a Partner in StoneTurn’s San Francisco office, is a Certified Public Accountant and has over 17 years of …
Print and review course materials
Method of Presentation:
On-demand Webcast (CLE)
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3
Get Your 1-Year All Access Pass For Only $199
About ParenteBeard LLC
ParenteBeard is an independent member of Baker Tilly International, a network of 149 accounting and consulting firms in 125 countries with more than 24,000 staff worldwide and aggregate revenue of nearly $3.2 billion. Baker Tilly International, the largest independent network of public accounting firms in the U.S. and the eighth largest network in the world, provides immediate access to professionals with expertise on local laws and business practices so we can effectively serve clients anywhere in the U.S. and the world.
ParenteBeard is a premier certified public accounting and business advisory firm and is ranked among the top 25 certified public accounting firms in the United States. Our team is 1,100 strong and includes 144 partners in 20 offices throughout the Mid-Atlantic Region of the United States and Texas.
Our consulting services include forensic, valuation & litigation services, healthcare, human resources, and corporate governance/risk management, all of which are performed on a national basis.
About StoneTurn Group LLP