Legal Series: Ethics for Attorneys: Hot Topics in 2012
All attorneys need to be up to date with respect to ethics. Not only because it is a requirement of your bar, it’s just good business to be up to speed.
The Knowledge Group has assembled a panel of key thought leaders and experts which will explore the critical and recent Ethics developments in law during a 2 hour LIVE Webcast.
They will address the following key issues:
- Ethical Considerations in the use of Internet
- Electronic File Maintenance
- Potential Ethical Problems –- What should lawyer do?
- Concept of Legal Ethics and the recent developments
- Up-to-the-minute regulatory updates.
James McCauley, Legal Ethics Counsel,
Virginia State Bar
- Cloud Computing for Lawyers: Silver Lining or Ethical Thunderstorm?
- Blogging and Advertising About Client Cases: What restrictions do Model Rules 1.6 and 7.1 impose on a lawyer’s ability to report successful outcomes in client matters?
- Law & Technology: Does the lawyer’s duty of competence under MR 1.1 require lawyers to understand and use social media and information security?
Alison P. Buchanan, Shareholder,
Hoge Fenton Jones & Appel
- Duty of Confidentiality Meets Data Security
- Attorney Advertising and the Internet
- The "No Contact Rule" and Social Media
- Inadvertent Disclosure and Technology/E-Discovery
- Ethics and Outsourced Services: Concerns re: Conflicts, Competence and Confidentiality
- Modern Conflicts: Imputation and Screening for Mega Firms, Advocates For and Against Different Rules for Sophisticated Clients, and Conflicts Arising from Parent/Subsidiary Relationships
Stephen Younger, Partner,
Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Outsourcing: Benefits and Challenges for Clients and for the Legal Profession
- Applying Our Ethical Standards to Outsourced Work: What Is the Duty of Care?
- Potential Malpractice Liability of Lawyers Who Perform Legal Work on a Contract Basis and of Lawyers Who Supervise Them
Who Should Attend:
- Attorneys and Consultants for Companies
– General Counsel
– Other Related Professionals
James M. McCauley is the Ethics Counsel for the Virginia State Bar. Mr. McCauley and his staff write the draft advisory opinions for the Standing Committees on Legal Ethics and Unauthorized Practice of law and provide informal advice over the telephone to members of the bar, bench and general public on lawyer regulatory matters. Mr. McCauley teaches Professional Responsibility at the T.C. Williams School of Law in Richmond, Virginia and served on the American Bar Association’s Standing Committee on Legal Ethics and Professionalism from 2008-2011
James M. McCauley is the Ethics Counsel for the Virginia State Bar. Mr. McCauley and his staff write the draft …
Alison Buchanan’s practice focuses on legal ethics, professional liability/professional malpractice and business litigation. Ms. Buchanan was recently appointed to serve a three-year term on the State Bar’s Committee on Professional Responsibility and Conduct (COPRAC). Ms. Buchanan is a member of APRL (Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers) and, also, teaches Professional Responsibility at Lincoln Law School in San Jose. Ms. Buchanan is an active member of the Santa Clara County Bar Association, serving on its Civil Practice and Business Law/Business Litigation Committees (2010 and 2011 Chair).
Alison Buchanan’s practice focuses on legal ethics, professional liability/professional malpractice and business litigation. Ms. Buchanan was recently appointed to serve …
Stephen Younger, Past President of the New York State Bar Association, is a leading commercial litigator who is also well-known for his alternative dispute resolution work. Having been with Patterson Belknap since 1985, Mr. Younger has more than 25 years of experience as a commercial litigator. As a seasoned trial lawyer, he has tried many cases in federal and state court and before arbitration panels. He also frequently argues appeals, particularly in the appellate courts of New York. Based on his significant ADR experience, he is often called on to serve as an arbitrator or mediator in high-stake matters.
Mr. Younger’s clients include financial institutions, mutual funds, hedge funds, pension funds and venture capital firms involved in commercial, securities and real estate disputes. He has also developed an extensive practice representing Latin American companies in U.S.-related matters.
In addition to his elected position with the State Bar, Mr. Younger has sat on numerous New York State Bar Association committees. He is past Chair of the New York State Bar Association’s Commercial and Federal Litigation Section, having previously served as Chair of its Securities Litigation Committee and of its ADR Committee. He is also a member of the ABA’s House of Delegates and chairs the ABA’s International Mediation Committee. He serves as the ABA’s representative to the United Nations Economic and Social Council.
Stephen Younger, Past President of the New York State Bar Association, is a leading commercial litigator who is also well-known …
Print and review course materials
Method of Presentation:
On-demand Webcast (CLE)
NY Category of CLE Credit:
Ethics and Professionalism
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3
Get Your 1-Year All Access Pass For Only $199
About Virginia State Bar
About Hoge Fenton Jones & Appel
Hoge Fenton provides a single source of legal service to businesses and individuals for their most important needs, including business formation and transactions, banking and finance, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property and tech transactions, real estate and land use, labor and employment law, estate planning and wealth management, complex family law, and litigation (alternative dispute resolution, trial, appellate). Our clients value our global reach, local knowledge, and outstanding results. Celebrating our 60th anniversary.
About Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
Founded in 1919, Patterson Belknap is a law firm of over 200 lawyers delivering a full range of services across more than 20 practice groups in both litigation and commercial law. Its practice groups and attorneys are regularly ranked among the leaders in New York and nationally by the most respected industry guides, based on client and peer reviews. Clients include a diverse group of institutions and individuals: from pharmaceutical and medical device companies to major media and publishing empires; from consumer products companies to financial institutions; from fine art museums to famous entertainers; from foreign companies seeking to transact business on U.S. stock exchanges to U.S. companies doing business abroad.