The Changing Landscape of Intellectual Property Strategies: What Every Firm Needs to Know
The fast changing Intellectual Property (IP) landscape creates a more complex environment for companies to cope up with. Such complexity creates numerous challenges on how companies handle their intellectual capital assets and to ensure that they would produce a sustainable competitive advantage over their competitors.
In order to maintain such advantage, awareness among company executives and investors, about the company’s intellectual property, and with the help of IP business analytics will enable their business to take a far more strategic view that would input insights and IP strategies that will closely be aligned to the corporate goals.
The Knowledge Group has assembled a team of thought leaders and seasoned professionals who will help the audience understand the most important aspects of maintaining an effective intellectual property strategy in order to cope up with the increasing complexity in the IP landscape. A panel of key thought leaders will present their findings and best practices that would be able to adopt to the Changing Landscape of Intellectual Property Strategies.
Key topics include:
- Intellectual Property Strategies - An Overview
- Common Risks and Pitfalls in IP Strategies
- Filing Invalid Patent
- Filing Undetectable Patents
- Neglecting Other Types of IP Protection
- Inadequate Protection for Confidential Information
- Inexistent Contractual Protection
- Granting Unrequired Rights
- Impact on Valuation
- Recent Development in IP Strategies
- Changed landscape of patent eligible subject matter
- Inter Partes and Covered Business Method Review for challenging patents
- Risks Management in IP Strategies
- Up-to-the-minute Regulatory Developments
John F. Martin, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
- Trends in the IP landscape that affect IP strategies (asset valuations, inherent information value, evolution of risks, China, etc.)
- Big Data's impact on making fully-informed decisions at every step in the patent lifecycle
- Strategic planning - situation analysis, scenario planning, R&D investment protection
- Filing patents - which patents to file, how much to invest in pursuing
- Optimizing return on your portfolio - maintaining, licensing, buying/selling
- Risk management - proactively discerning risks, optimizing responses
- Landscape monitoring - competitors, markets and technologies
- Trends in use-cases for IP analytics
- Communicating IP-driven insights to stakeholders in their terms
Christine Redfield, Of Counsel
Fenwick & West LLP
BRANDING TRENDS IN DIGITAL MARKETING
- Digital Co-Branding Partnerships – Contractual Considerations
- Joint Ownership Issues
- Exit Strategies
- Aligning Marketing Plans
- Domains Eclipse Trademarks
- Descriptive Domains and Social Media Handles Designed to Drive Web Traffic
- The Rise of Single Word Marks and Icons
- Strategies for Protecting Weak Marks
- Creative Registration Strategies
- Supplemental Registration
- Use of Search Engine Optimization and Web Statistics to Establish Consumer Recognition
Thomas J. Wimbiscus, Shareholder
McAndrews, Held & Malloy, Ltd.
- Recent Development in IP Strategies
- Inter Partes Review for challenging patents –
- Overview of IPR & relevant statistics
- Strategic considerations for Petitioners (patent challengers), including the decision to file, the likelihood of obtaining a litigation stay, and impact on settlement
- Strategic considerations for Patent Owners, including whether to file an optional preliminary response, the realities of amending claims in IPR, and best practices for pursuing new claims
Lewis E. Hudnell, III, Founder
Hudnell Law Group P.C.
- Overview of the changed landscape of patent eligible subject matter
- Review of relevant Supreme Court and Federal Circuit decisions
- Review ot changes in USPTO patent eligibility guidelines
- Litigation trends concerning patent eligible subject matter
- Strategies for accused infringers in raising patent eligibility challenges
- Strategies for patent owners in defending against patent eligibility challenges
Who Should Attend:
- IP and Related Attorneys
- Patent Licensing Attorneys
- Patent Attorneys
- Patent Consultants
- Patent Litigators
- Top Level Management
- Company Executives and Investors
- Private and Public Companies
- Multinational Companies
- Other related/interested Professionals and Organizations
John F. Martin has over 25 years of experience leading and growing innovative enterprise software and SaaS companies, focused on emerging market segments. Prior to Innography, John helped drive 50-fold revenue growth in 10 years at IQNavigator, the leader in services procurement solutions for the Global 2000, successively as Chief Technology Officer, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Executive Officer of International Markets. Previously, John held multiple executive positions at Saba Software, including VP Product Management and VP Internet Services, as it grew from no revenue to over $60 million and went public as the leader in learning management solutions. John was also VP Convergence Technologies at CSG Systems, managing all open-systems product lines, as it went public and grew to over $200 million in sales. As a management consultant at McKinsey & Co., for four years in the United States and Europe, John led engagements to create and implement strategies to increase value for clients in a wide range of industries. John also was one of the first employees in Oracle's consulting division, leading consulting teams and territories for four years as Oracle grew from its IPO to a billion-dollar firm. John holds an MBA from Stanford and BS degrees in electrical engineering and computer science from MIT.
John F. Martin has over 25 years of experience leading and growing innovative enterprise software and SaaS companies, focused on …
Christine Redfield, Of Counsel at Fenwick & West, focuses her practice on strategic international brand counseling and protection, including the development and management of international trademark portfolios, creative brand enforcement strategies and trademark rights online. She advises clients on the availability, use, registration, and enforcement of trademarks in the United States and worldwide markets.
Chris also counsels clients on a variety of trademark related issues including trade dress infringement, trademark dilution, and acquiring domain name registrations. She represents clients before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and resolves rights to disputed marks by negotiating licenses, assignments, and coexistence, settlement and transfer agreements.
Christine Redfield, Of Counsel at Fenwick & West, focuses her practice on strategic international brand counseling and protection, including the …
Thomas J. Wimbiscus is an experienced intellectual property attorney specializing in patent and other IP litigation, as well as inter partes review and other post-grant proceedings before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. With over 30 years of experience, he has appeared in over 90 litigations and as lead counsel in over 60 inter partes review proceedings. Mr. Wimbiscus was responsible for numerous multi-million dollar victories, including lead counsel in patent litigations on behalf of Broadcom Corp. against Qualcomm, Inc. (global campaign settled for $890 million); a patent infringement award of over $80 million; sequential trial victories in the U.S. International Trade Commission, and numerous other successful awards and settlements. Mr. Wimbiscus also works closely with his clients to protect and defend their patent, trademark, trade dress and other intellectual property rights. He is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
Mr. Wimbiscus has been designated a fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American attorneys; he was named as “recommended” intellectual property counsel by Practical Law Company (2002 – 2015); and named as a “Leading Lawyer” (2004 – 2015). He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thomas J. Wimbiscus is an experienced intellectual property attorney specializing in patent and other IP litigation, as well as inter …
Mr. Hudnell is an intellectual property attorney specializing in patent litigation and the founding principal of Hudnell Law Group P.C. He works closely with his clients to understand their business and their needs in order to develop innovative strategies for achieving favorable results in complex, high-stakes patent disputes. Mr. Hudnell’s clients have ranged from individual inventors to major technology companies in the electronics, semiconductor, computer networking, computer software, electronic commerce, and financial services industries. Mr. Hudnell has successfully represented clients in patent trials in federal court and obtained numerous settlements and dismissals of patent lawsuits in favor of his clients. He has also successfully represented clients in post-grant proceedings before the Patent Trial & Appeal Board. Mr. Hudnell also counsels clients on the acquisition and sale of intellectual property rights, monetizing their intellectual assets, and managing patent litigation risk. Mr. Hudnell earned a B.S. in Operations Research and Industrial Engineering from Cornell University and a J.D. from the University of Pennsylvania. He is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Mr. Hudnell is an intellectual property attorney specializing in patent litigation and the founding principal of Hudnell Law Group P.C. …
Print and review course materials
Method of Presentation:
NASBA Field of Study:
NY Category of CLE Credit:
Areas of Professional Practice
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3
Get Your 1-Year All Access Pass For Only $199
Innography provides better answers to questions about intellectual property to help organizations improve their business results. Innography’s proprietary software suite combines unique data correction, correlation and visualization technologies to enable users to quickly gain valuable insights for building, monetizing and defending their patent portfolios, as well as analyzing technology trends and gaining competitive intelligence. Founded in 2007 and based in Austin, Texas, Innography is the world’s premier Intellectual Property Business Intelligence provider.
About Fenwick & West LLP
Fenwick & West provides comprehensive legal services to ground-breaking technology and life sciences companies – at every stage of their lifecycle – and the investors that partner with them. We craft innovative, cost-effective and practical solutions on issues ranging from venture capital, public offerings, joint ventures, M&A and strategic relationships, to intellectual property, litigation and dispute resolution, taxation, antitrust, and employment and labor law. For more than four decades, Fenwick has helped some of the world's most recognized companies become and remain market leaders.
About McAndrews, Held & Malloy, Ltd.
McAndrews, Held & Malloy boasts one of the most highly regarded teams of intellectual property attorneys, patent agents, and technology specialists in the United States. It offers a deep bench of experts in patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, and unfair competition. The firm routinely handles cases that involve innovative and cutting-edge technologies in specialized industries. McAndrews is also recognized as a leading firm in IP procurement, post-grant proceedings, IP opinions and investigations, global portfolio management, IP development and licensing, M&A support, and design rights. The firm was recently ranked 2nd in the U.S. by Intellectual Asset Management Magazine for highest quality patents over all industries.
The firm’s clients include multinational corporations, Fortune 500 companies, startups, and world-renowned universities. The firm is continually recognized and honored by respected legal and business media and IP organizations for its achievements in intellectual property law.
About Hudnell Law Group P.C.
Hudnell Law Group is a modern intellectual property law firm committed to innovating, adding value, and delivering results for our clients. Hudnell Law Group offers a full spectrum of intellectual property legal services and develop creative solutions tailored to suit our clients’ intellectual property needs. Hudnell Law Group employs new and alternative practices designed to enhance the value of our offerings. We demonstrate our value by the results we achieve for our clients and our commitment to providing outstanding client service.