Health Care Reform: What Today’s Headlines Mean for Employers in 2017 and Beyond
During his campaign, President Trump has been very stern on his goal to repeal, replace and dismantle the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Earlier this year, the Republican Study Committee (RSC) has proposed the American Health Care Reform Act of 2017 (AHCA) to fully repeal the healthcare related provisions in the ACA. The bill retains a great number of the ACA's market reforms, conditions, and exclusions for employees due to the fact that it does not directly affect government revenue and therefore could not be modified through the budget reconciliation process. Moreover, the AHCA will eliminate the current tax exclusion for employer-paid health insurance and would create and provide a standard above-the-line deduction for health insurance costs.
Listen as a team of thought leaders and professionals brought together by The Knowledge Group provide a comprehensive analysis of the recent trends and developments surrounding the Health Care Reform under the new administration. Speakers will enumerate the potential risks, opportunities, and pitfalls and identify how it affects employers.
Key topics include:
- Health Care Reform Under Trump
- The 1095-C Corrections Process
- The American Healthcare Reform Act
- How the Health Care Reform Affect Employers?
- Coverage and Limitations
- Recent Trends and Developments
Harris Beach PLLC
- The President’s Executive Order – meaning and impact
- General overview of the legal path for the current AHCA legislation (reconciliation process, filibuster rule, Senate modifications if known at the time of the conference)
- Differences between ACA, AHCA 1.0 and AHCA 2.0 (and possibly AHCA 3.0 if Senate has anything at time of conference) on key areas such as mandates (topics to cover from chart attached)
- continued 6055 and 6056 reporting through 2020 – what that means for employers
- Key areas to stay focused on for compliance purposes (lessons learned from 2015, 2016 reporting), including employee v. contractor and compliance program materials (such as proof of offer of coverage, proof of waivers, lists of ACA FT employees based on tracking, written measurement policies, proof of affordability)
- Importance of the 1095 Corrections Process for Employers
- Overview of significant AHCA provisions to employers
- Emphasize proposed changes and the impact on hot topics like pre-existing exclusion rules, essential benefits, preventative care benefits, etc.
- AHCA impact on other benefits like health savings accounts and flexible spending accounts
- Speculated Senate action re AHCA
- Recommendations for what employers should do now—reporting, common mistakes, corrective action for any found mistakes, etc.
Who Should Attend:
- Health Care Insurance Companies
- Health Care Law Attorneys
- Healthcare Consultants
- Healthcare Service Professionals
- Medical Directors
- Medical Providers
Ms. Bolaños is a leading expert in the field of Affordable Care Act compliance. The ACA affects many facets of the Employee/ Employer relationship and has empowered the IRS to create new reporting requirements. Large employers in both the public and private sectors have turned to Ms. Bolaños and the HB Solutions ACA Team for answers.
The HB Solutions ACA Team is providing consulting and compliance services to businesses across the country. By combining skilled, knowledgeable consulting with a proprietary software solution, HB Solutions is easing the burden felt by employers.
Ms. Bolaños’s legal practice has focused on labor and employment law, including labor and employee relations, employment policy and strategic management. She has been recognized many times for her achievements including being named Rochester’s Up and Coming Business Woman (2006), and Up and Coming Attorney (2009). She is a cum laude graduate from the State University of New York at Buffalo Law School. She is active in community service and sits on the Board of Directors for the Catholic Courier and the Personnel Committee of the Center for Youth Services.
HB Solutions LLC is a non-legal consulting subsidiary of Harris Beach LLC Law Firm.
Ms. Bolaños is a leading expert in the field of Affordable Care Act compliance. The ACA affects many facets of …
Tiffany A. Sharpley is a Senior Attorney in the firm's Employee Benefits Practice Group, where she focuses her practice on assisting employers with their compliance needs as related to the Internal Revenue Code (“Code”) and the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (“ERISA”). Ms. Sharpley routinely advises clients about retirement, health, and executive compensation plan design to meet their business needs.
Prior to joining Krieg DeVault, Ms. Sharpley served as Senior Counsel to ADP, LLC where she provided legal advice regarding statutory and regulatory compliance issues. She also previously served as a Partner at Ice Miller LLP where she provided federal tax law compliance advice to clients regarding employee benefits. In addition, Ms. Sharpley worked at the Indiana University Kelley School of Business in Indianapolis as an Adjunct Faculty Lecturer, where she taught an employee benefits course, as well as an internet based tax research database class.
Tiffany A. Sharpley is a Senior Attorney in the firm's Employee Benefits Practice Group, where she focuses her practice on …
Print and review course materials
Method of Presentation:
Experience in Healthcare Law
NASBA Field of Study:
Specialized Knowledge - Technical
NY Category of CLE Credit:
Areas of Professional Practice
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3
Get Your 1-Year All Access Pass For Only $199
About Harris Beach PLLC
HB Solutions LLC, is a consulting subsidiary of the Harris Beach PLLC law firm. HB Solutions provides expert Affordable Care Act consulting and compliance services to its clients nationwide.
About Krieg DeVault
For clients throughout the Midwest and across the country, Krieg DeVault provides clear, practical legal advice that takes in the big picture without losing sight of the details. That's how they approach your legal challenges and how they deliver solutions that are focused on your needs, your business and your world.
While much has changed since Krieg DeVault's founding in Indianapolis, over 140 years ago, their commitment to listening to their clients has not. Client satisfaction and loyalty have allowed them to grow from a two-lawyer general practice in the mid-1870s to their current status as a premier business-focused law firm. From offices that reach from the nation's heartland to the Sun Belt, they are ideally positioned to serve the needs of their diversified client base.
Financial institutions, global manufacturers, national healthcare providers, successful organizations of various sizes and market focus, as well as individuals all rely on them for solutions that create success. They know their important cases, sophisticated transactions, and complex business issues require the big picture approach that has become a Krieg DeVault hallmark.