Jones Day is a global law firm with more than 2,500 lawyers in 43 offices across five continents. The Firm is distinguished by: a singular tradition of client service; the mutual commitment to, and the seamless collaboration of, a true partnership; formidable legal talent across multiple disciplines and jurisdictions; and shared professional values that focus on client needs.
Cornerstone Research provides economic and financial consulting and expert testimony in all phases of complex disputes and regulatory investigations. The firm has 700 staff and offices in Boston, Chicago, London, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, and Washington DC.
Analysis Group is one of the largest economics consulting firms, with more than 900 professionals across 14 offices in North America, Europe, and Asia. Since 1981, we have provided expertise in economics, finance, health care analytics, and strategy to top law firms, Fortune Global 500 companies, and government agencies worldwide. Our internal experts, together with our network of affiliated experts from academia, industry, and government, offer our clients exceptional breadth and depth of expertise.
Mike McConnell defends officers, directors, and corporations in high-stakes securities and fiduciary duty litigation. The matters litigated include securities fraud class actions, SEC investigations and inquiries, derivative cases, proxy fraud litigation, and other matters that are often ancillary to shareholder litigation, including shareholder inspection actions, disputes under shareholder voting agreements, internal corporate investigations, and other special committee matters.
Mike's recent representations include defending comScore, Inc. and certain of its officers and directors in securities litigation; defending Flowers Foods and certain of its officers and directors in securities litigation; defending Rayonier Inc. in securities litigation; defending Gray Television in litigation seeking to enjoin it from operating an Augusta television station or offering it in the National Incentive Spectrum Auction; defending WL Ross & Co. and certain current and former officers and directors of International Textile Group (ITG) in class and derivative shareholder litigation arising from the merger of ITG and Safety Components International; defending Attachmate Corporation in connection with shareholder litigation filed in Delaware and Massachusetts challenging its acquisition of Novell Corporation; defending former officers and directors of various banks that failed in the wake of the credit crisis; defending The Southern Company in securities litigation arising from the spin-off of Mirant Corporation; and defending SunOpta Inc. in securities litigation.
Mike is a former member of the board of directors of the March of Dimes (Georgia Chapter; chairman, 2012), the Midtown Atlanta Rotary Club (president, 2013-2014), and the Leadership Atlanta Class of 2007.
Shaama Pandya provides financial and economic analysis on securities and consumer finance matters, including cases involving large datasets. She develops case strategy and goals related to economic issues in consultation with testifying experts and attorneys. Ms. Pandya also manages statistical and econometric analyses in litigation and regulatory matters.
- Examined issues related to market efficiency, loss causation, and damages in numerous securities cases (Rule 10b-5, Section 11, and Section 12)
- Performed analysis in support of an academic expert’s testimony and provided consulting support in several Financial Industry
Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitrations related to the 2008 events in the auction rate securities market
- Analyzed liability and damages issues related to options trading on multiple exchanges and assessed various trading strategies
- Estimated damages exposure relating to debit card overdraft fee litigation on behalf of multiple U.S. financial institutions
- Assessed consumer remediation for regulatory investigations with respect to small-dollar lending products and mortgage servicing
- Evaluated damages and class size in relation to alleged Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) violations by financial institutions.
- Analyzed liability and damages on behalf of a large U.S. bank with respect to credit card terms
- Worked on behalf of a joint defense of multiple banks to assess price impact of trading in complex financial matters related to naked short selling
- Conducted class certification and damages analyses in ERISA matters
Energy and commodities
- Performed economic analysis
Ms. Comstock specializes in the application of financial economics and data analysis to litigation and other complex business situations. She has assisted clients in all phases of the litigation cycle, from discovery through trial preparation. Ms. Comstock’s case work has involved litigation related to the bankruptcies of Enron, Global Crossing, and Lehman Brothers. Ms. Comstock has also supported experts in numerous litigations involving allegations of violations of Sections 10b-5 and 11, and litigation related to mortgage-backed securities (MBS).