The Fundamentals of Patent Insurance Coverage: What you Need to Know
Patent litigation risk has emerged as a persistent and costly operating risk for nearly any company today, and the insurance market is just starting to fill the gap after previously lacking data and understanding.
In this LIVE Webcast, a seasoned panel of thought leaders and professionals assembled by The Knowledge Group will help the audience understand the fundamentals of patent litigation risk and patent insurance coverage, as well as important issues in patent risk management. Speakers will go beyond the basics by presenting to the audience their expert thoughts and opinions on how to avoid risks and potential pitfalls. They will also provide important highlights to the framework of assessing patent risk and evaluating the important differences between the available solutions.
Key Topics include:
- What is patent infringement risk
- Where patent risk comes from
- Types of patent risk
- Costs (internal & external) of infringement allegations
- How patent litigation risk can be predicted
- Gaps in traditional insurance coverages (E&O, CGL)
- Patent insurance coverage basics
- Patent insurance-related services
- Evolution of patent risk (international venues for example)
RPX Insurance Services
- Almost any company is at risk of being sued for patent infringement, and that risk comes from a variety of sources including non-practicing entities, non-competing entities, and competitors.
- Patent risk is costly. A single case can cost millions, which is potentially devastating to small or emerging growth companies. What’s more, the time and attention required to handle patent litigation cases can often divert resources away from core business functions causing businesses to delay growth.
- With the right mix of data, including the type of technology at issue, history of patent litigation, the company’s business dynamics, and access to historical litigation costs, it’s possible for a provider to accurately quantify and project a potential insured’s risk.
- Patent insurance coverage today is more robust than ever. In fact, insurers like RPX can even decrease the amount of time a company spends in litigation or help avoid it altogether.
LA PLAYA INTERNATIONAL
What IP Risks Can Be Insured
- Infringement Liability – Defence
- Infringement Liability – Enforcement
- Contractual Exposures
- Financial Loss
Who Should Attend:
- IP Lawyers and Practitioners
- Insurance Companies
- Directors & Officers
- Corporate Mergers & Acquisitions Professionals
- IP Owners
- IP Counsel
- Risk and Compliance Officers
Mr. Kingsley has worked in and around the insurance industry for more than 25 years. His experience includes building a regional commercial insurance company for more than a decade, running the commercial division of a large general agency, holding interim and turnaround management positions at commercial insurers, and consulting for insurance operators and entities considering investments in insurance operations.
Mr. Kingsley earned his MBA from the William E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration at the University of Rochester and his BS in Business Administration at American University in Washington, DC.
Mr. Kingsley has worked in and around the insurance industry for more than 25 years. His experience includes building a …
Elaine has over 25 years’ experience in commercial insurance broking, including over 15 years working on international and technology business. She works across La Playa’s London and New York offices providing a bridge for clients and brokers on both sides of the Atlantic.
Elaine has over 25 years’ experience in commercial insurance broking, including over 15 years working on international and technology business. …
Print and review course materials
Method of Presentation:
NASBA Field of Study:
Business Law - Technical
NY Category of CLE Credit:
Areas of Professional Practice
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3
Get Your 1-Year All Access Pass For Only $199
About RPX Insurance Services
Using its proprietary actuarial model, RPX Insurance customizes policies to the specific risk and coverage needs of each insured. RPX policies provide integrated claims management, preferred provider legal services, and case resolution support, thus allowing a company to fully outsource every aspect of dealing with patent risk. RPX offers a full suite of patent insurance products, including Emerging Risk, Standard Protection, Indemnification, Portfolio Protection, and Volatility Risk. Premiums start at $1,500.
The insurance offering is administered by RPX Insurance Services LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of RPX Corporation and a Lloyd’s coverholder. Binding Authority UMR Number: B0618FB14A605A; California License Number: 0H74909. More information about RPX Insurance Services and its offerings is available at www.rpxinsurance.com.
About LA PLAYA INTERNATIONAL
About LA PLAYA SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY: Insurance with Intelligence®
La Playa is an award-winning, independent specialist broker based in the UK and USA. A registered broker at Lloyd’s of London, La Playa works with a broad range of people and organizations involved in Science, Technology, Media, Arts and Entertainment, supporting their entrepreneurial endeavours with expert insurance and risk management advice. Many of La Playa’s clients are disruptive innovators and creatives, with a strong focus on intellectual property.