Export Control Reform – Unfinished Business
Understanding how to adapt to the changes brought by the Export Control Reform, can result to real benefits for companies. As new developments continue to re-shape the US export control requirements under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), it is important for companies to stay updated and observe strict compliance.
In this LIVE Webcast, a panel of distinguished professionals and industry experts will discuss the latest updates on US Export Control Reform and the best practices in complying with the requirements of ITAR and EAR. They will also provide insights on the potential changes the Trump Administration may bring upon the Export Control Reform.
Some of the major topics that will be covered in this course are:
- Export Control Reform – An Overview
- Recent Enforcement Trends
- Latest Regulatory Developments
- Voluntary Disclosure, Criminal Penalties and Personal Liability
- Complying with US Export Controls
- Overcoming Compliance Challenges
Dr. Bijan Kasraie, Esq., Founding Member
Kasraie & Fodor, LLC
- ECR overview
- Rules affecting the Export Administration Regulation
- Commerce Control List vis-a-vie OFAC
Melissa L. Duffy, Partner
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Current status of export control reform with respect to ITAR
- Prognosis for continuing export control reform under Trump administration
Richard J. Burke, Partner
White & Case LLP
- Practical Compliance and Enforcement Aspects of Export Control Reform
- DDTC May Continue to License/Approve Some Items Subject to the EAR
- Compliance Challenges of Export Control Reform
- Compliance Considerations Relating to Jurisdiction
- Jurisdiction Complications
- Once CCL Jurisdiction is Clarified, Ensure Correct CCL Classification
- Other Compliance Implications
- Compliance Implications on Corporate Transactions (M&A)
- Events of Non-compliance and Enforcement
Who Should Attend:
- Export Compliance Counsel
- Export Control Consultants
- Export Control Vice Presidents, Directors and Managers
- Senior Executives
- International Trade Counsel
- International Traders
- Export Compliance Counsel
- Export and Import Compliance Officers
- Export Compliance Specialists, Coordinators and Administrators
- Trade Logistics Firms
- Multinational Companies
Richard J. Burke is a partner in the Washington, DC office of White & Case where he is co-head of the firm’s international economic sanctions and export control practice.
Richard is part of the firm’s Washington-based international trade group and is a valued resource for clients seeking to navigate the legal complexities of US economic sanctions and export controls. Richard has extensive experience advising on regulatory compliance and representing clients in enforcement cases arising from the regulations of a number of U.S. Government agencies charged with administering sanctions and export controls, including the Treasury Department Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), the Commerce Department Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), and the State Department Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC). On OFAC-related matters Richard assists both US and non-US clients with all aspects of compliance with the various US economic sanctions programs including those relating to Iran, Ukraine-related Russia sanctions, Syria, Cuba, Sudan, North Korea, and the various list-based programs targeting sanctioned persons and entities in connection with sanctionable conduct including WMD proliferation, terrorism, organized crime, and corruption. On BIS-related matters Richard advises on export control compliance policies and procedures, obtaining export licenses when required, and representing clients before the agency in enforcement actions or voluntary self-disclosures. With respect to DDTC, Richard’s experience includes all aspects of compliance with the US International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and associated licensing and approval requirements.
Richard also has extensive experience representing transactional clients in the regulation of foreign acquisitions of control over US operations that may involve sensitive national security concerns requiring review by the interagency Treasury Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). Richard has successfully represented both US and non-US clients in navigating dozens of transactions through the CFIUS process.
Richard also has advised clients in other international trade disciplines, including US trade remedy administrative and judicial proceedings, with particular regard to anti-dumping and countervailing duty matters, as well as customs compliance issues including classification, country of origin, valuation and marking.
Richard J. Burke is a partner in the Washington, DC office of White & Case where he is co-head of …
Melissa Duffy is a partner at Hughes Hubbard & Reed. She focusses on export controls, trade sanctions, and antiboycott laws and regulations. Melissa has worked on a number of export enforcement matters, provided counseling on a variety of export control, encryption, antiboycott compliance, trade sanctions, CFIUS foreign investment reviews, FOCI/SSA matters under the NISPOM, and FCPA matters, handled difficult ITAR licensing issues, prepared successful Commodity Jurisdiction requests, handled OFAC and BIS license applications, and developed compliance programs and conducted internal compliance investigations. She has extensive experience in the high-tech, financial and energy sectors, Cuba, Iran, and Russia sanctions, and matters involving the Middle East region.
Melissa Duffy is a partner at Hughes Hubbard & Reed. She focusses on export controls, trade sanctions, and antiboycott laws …
Dr. Kasraie is a founding member of KF Law, LLC. He has well over 30 years of legal and executive business experience in several industries, including banking, finance, energy, real estate, manufacturing, recycling, IT, and pharmaceuticals. He has resolved legal, financial, corporate and political issues in the UAE, U.K., France, Germany, Switzerland, Finland, Netherlands, Italy, Russia, Romania, Turkey, Poland, Republic of Georgia, Egypt, Morocco, Kuwait, India, Pakistan, Peoples’ Republic of China, Taiwan, Canada, etc. He holds graduate degrees in law and engineering and post graduate studies in finance and banking.
In addition, Dr. Kasraie has been the Financial and Economic Advisor to City Governments in the People’s Republic of China (PRC) since 1998.
ACHIEVEMENTS AND AWARDS:
Dr. Kasraie is active in state and national politics. Some of his more important positions and awards include:
- Recipient of the U.S. Presidential Order of Merit
- Recipient of Presidential Gold Medal
- Member of the American Security Council
- Member of the U.S. Presidential Round Table
- Senior Advisor to U.S. Congressional Advisory Board
- Recipient Eisenhower Commission
- Member of U.S. Presidential Trust, Life Member
- Presidential Honor Roll
PUBLICATIONS AND SEMINARS:
- Interviewed by Lawyer Monthly Magazine (UK) about International Trade (2016), Thought Leader’s series. (Available for download: Magazine Interview)
- Co-authored the book UNDERSTANDING INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL CONTRACTS (2015, Thompson Reuters). Available on Amazon by clicking on the following link: http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-International-Commercial-Contracts-Perspectives/dp/0314294074
- Co-Authored a webcast, “CIFIUS and FINSA” and their impact on international business partnership (2016, Knowledge Group). (Available for download: Final Webcast)
- Sole distinguished professor for a seminar called “MIDSTREAM CONTRACTS” (2015, EUCI, Texas) (Available for download: Oil & Gas Seminar) (EUCI is a leading provider of conferences, seminars, workshops and courses designed exclusively for the energy industry), 2015, 2017
- Co-authored a webinar, “YOU EARNED IT-YOU KEEP IT” (Georgia 2014), an instructional webinar about protecting your assets. (Available for download: Asset Protection Book)
- Instructor for a seminar called “DOING BUSINESS IN CHINA” (2008)
Dr. Kasraie is a founding member of KF Law, LLC. He has well over 30 years of legal and executive …
Print and review course materials
Method of Presentation:
NASBA Field of Study:
Business Law - Technical
NY Category of CLE Credit:
Areas of Professional Practice
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3
Get Your 1-Year All Access Pass For Only $199
About White & Case LLP
White & Case is a truly global law firm, uniquely positioned to help our clients achieve their ambitions in today's G20 world.
As a pioneering international law firm, our cross-border experience and diverse team of local, US and English-qualified lawyers consistently deliver results for our clients.
In both established and emerging markets, our lawyers are integral, long-standing members of the community, giving our clients insights into the local business environment alongside our experience in multiple jurisdictions.
We work with some of the world's most respected and well-established banks and businesses, as well as start-up visionaries, governments and state-owned entities.
About Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP is an international law firm ranked for ten years, including five years in a row as the top-ranked New York-based firm, on The American Lawyer’s A-List of what the magazine calls “the top firms among the nation’s legal elite.” Our attorneys advise and represent clients in over 30 specialized practices from offices in New York, Washington, D.C., Paris, Los Angeles, Miami, Jersey City, Kansas City, and Tokyo.
About Kasraie & Fodor, LLC
The goal of Kasraie & Fodor is to simplify the issues and find solutions for their clients. The firm creates tailor-made structures to protect their clients’ wealth, as well as advises its clients with regards to all facets of oil and gas investment. The firm also provides advice and guidance throughout the complex and often perplexing process of establishing a joint ventures or wholly-owned subsidiaries in almost all countries of the world. Whether the clients are trying to form a domestic or international business structure, plan a domestic or international merger /acquisition, get involved with oil and gas ventures, protect their wealth, negotiate a contract, or have import/export ideas, Kasraie & Fodor has the expertise to help.