Hot Topics in ERISA Litigation Developments in 2016 and Beyond
The increasingly complex economy continuously brings challenges to companies and organizations particularly in addressing concerns and legal issues related to the welfare of employees. The Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) helps employers administer and address such concerns. Nowadays, it is of high importance to secure full knowledge of the laws and regulations affecting the employment landscape to avoid future ERISA litigation risks.
In this LIVE Webcast, a key thought speaker will provide the audience with an in-depth discussion of the fundamentals as well as recent developments in ERISA Litigation. The speaker will also provide expert thoughts and opinions to help the audience conform to the complex environment of ERISA Litigation.
Key topics include:
- Recent Court Decisions
- M&G Polymers USA v. Tackett
- Tibble v. Edison International
- RJR Pension Investment Committee v. Tatum
- Montanile v. Board of Trustees of the National Elevator Industry Health Benefit Plan
- Amgen v. Harris
- ERISA’s Preemption Clause
- Remedies Under the ERISA’s Authorization of “Appropriate Equitable Relief”
- ERISA Litigation Involving Traditional Health Carriers and Plans
- Other cases pending in the United States Supreme Court Docket That Might Impact ERISA Litigation; and
- Excessive Fee Cases and Class Actions involving 401(k) Plans Litigation Trends
David R. Johanson, Partner
Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP
- The Impact of Recent U.S. Supreme Court Decision of Montanile v. Board of Trustees of the National Elevator Industry Health Benefit Plan;
- Other Cases Pending In the United States Supreme Court Docket That Might Impact ERISA Litigation; and
- Excessive Fee Cases and Class Actions involving 401(k) Plans Litigation Trends.
Who Should Attend:
- Employee Benefits Lawyers
- Insurance Officers
- Retirement Plan Consultants and Specialists
- Benefits Administrators
- Top Level Management
- Multinational Companies
- Private and Public Companies
- Other Related & Interested Professionals
David R. Johanson is Partner-in-Charge of the Napa office of Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP. He has offices in Napa, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York to cover his national client base with a team of more than 20 partners, associates, and paralegals. David and his team assist clients in general corporate matters and in employee ownership, benefit, ERISA, and related business matters, with an emphasis on executive compensation, equity incentive plans, non-qualified deferred compensation, employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs), ESOP transactions, mergers and acquisitions (and related tax planning), and business succession and estate planning. David and his team have defended ERISA fiduciaries, plan sponsors, selling shareholders, and investment advisers in ERISA litigation matters involving ESOPs and business transactions in federal and state courts throughout the country in a wide range of controversies covering ERISA fiduciary responsibilities, ESOP valuation disputes, disclosure obligations, investment issues, non-competition disputes, and tax matters. David has extensive experience in negotiating ESOP, ERISA, and other issues with government regulatory agencies and in representing ERISA fiduciaries and members of Boards of Directors and officers in state and federal litigation throughout the country.
Print and review course materials
Method of Presentation:
NASBA Field of Study:
NY Category of CLE Credit:
Areas of Professional Practice
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3
Get Your 1-Year All Access Pass For Only $199
About Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP
Over the last half century, Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP has grown to include more than 150 lawyers in nine offices located in Atlanta, Austin, Charleston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Napa, New York, St. Louis and San Francisco. HPTY attorneys represent some of America’s largest corporations, small local businesses and individual clients in high risk litigation and business disputes across the country. As national leaders in their fields of expertise, our ESOP, Employee Benefits, M&A, Tax & ERISA group brings extraordinary depth in perspective when advising clients in connection with retirement plans, equity incentives, executive compensation, shareholder issues, fiduciaries, mergers and acquisitions, and employment and benefits litigation throughout the country. While trial success has always been a hallmark of the firm, our attorneys are well equipped to serve their clients’ interests to the best result possible. HPTY offers the resources and experience to tailor and execute the most well-informed defense for each of the firm’s clients in any jurisdiction whenever the need arises.