Employee Arbitration Agreements and Class Action Waivers: Recent Developments and Next Steps for Employers
In an important 5-4 decision last May 21, 2018, the U.S. Supreme Court held that the use of class action waivers in employment arbitration agreements is valid and enforceable under the Federal Arbitration Act (FAA). The decision can help employers avoid costly and time-consuming employment litigations through a well- written bilateral arbitration agreement that satisfies the FAA.
Following this development, it is important for employers to become abreast of the next steps, especially in devising a comprehensive agreement in accordance with existing employment and labor laws.
Join a panel of key thought leaders and distinguished professionals assembled by The Knowledge Group as they provide an in-depth discussion of the recent developments and significant issues surrounding employment agreements. Speakers will provide helpful tips for employers in creating effective arbitration agreements and class action waivers in light of the recent developments.
Key issues that will be covered in this course are:
- Recent Developments in Employment Arbitration Agreements and Class Action Waivers
- Notable Cases
- Important Factors to Consider in Drafting Employment Arbitration Agreements
- What Lies Ahead
- Practical Tips for Employers
- A brief summary of Supreme Court decisions directing the lower courts to enforce arbitration agreements;
- Representative cases of lower courts avoiding the enforcement of arbitration agreements;
- Practical tips for writing enforceable arbitration agreements.
Medina McKelvey LLP
- Practical Effects of Epic Systems: What are courts actually focusing on in challenges to arbitration agreements with class action waivers?
- Arbitration Agreement Rollout Considerations and Best Practices for Employers in a Non-Litigation Context
- Arbitration Agreements/Class Action Waivers as a Tool to Reduce Exposure and Settlement Value in Existing Class Action Litigation
Who Should Attend:
- Employment Law Attorneys
- Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Class Action Attorneys
- HR Personnel
- In-house Counsel
- Employers and Employees
- Compliance and Risk Officers
- Top Level Management
- Public and Private Companies
- Other Interested Professionals and Organizations
Mr. Lilly is a trial lawyer with extensive experience in employment, securities and finance, and entertainment, as well as appellate matters. Mr. Lilly first chaired a five-week jury trial in an investment fraud matter and obtained a verdict of $20.3 million for his client.
Mr. Lilly is a trial lawyer with extensive experience in employment, securities and finance, and entertainment, as well as appellate …
Alex is a founding partner at Medina McKelvey LLP where his practice is focused on employment and wage and hour defense, advice and counsel, employment crisis management, and lawsuit prevention for California businesses. He is a skilled litigator, renowned legal writer and communicator, and a resource in the legal community for ethical and effective litigation practice. Alex is also a founding partner and owner of California Compliance Solutions LLC, a company devoted to protecting against and preventing employment lawsuits.
Alex is a founding partner at Medina McKelvey LLP where his practice is focused on employment and wage and hour …
Print and review course materials
Method Of Presentation:
General knowledge of Employment and Labor Laws
NY Category of CLE Credit:
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3
UNLIMITED 1 Year Pass for only $199
About TroyGould PC
TroyGould is a results-oriented law firm. TroyGould uses creative and cost-effective strategies that enable their clients to achieve their business goals. They are trusted advisors to entrepreneurs, start-ups, middle-market and Fortune 500 companies. Their clients command a variety of industries, including technology, entertainment/media, life sciences, financial services, food and beverage, real estate, consumer products, and healthcare. Connect with TroyGould to learn how they may be of value to you.
About Medina McKelvey LLP
Medina McKelvey is California’s premier boutique law firm devoted to defending California businesses against employment lawsuits and equipping businesses to prevent these lawsuits. With over 80 years of combined experience, the attorneys at Medina McKelvey have defended over 200 employment class action lawsuits and are considered thought leaders in advising, counseling, and defending businesses.