Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis is a multi-practice law firm serving local, regional and national clients. As one of New Jersey’s leading law firms, the firm brings diverse and comprehensive expertise to the representation of both businesses and individuals. For over 100 years, the firm has earned the trust and loyalty of clients by providing sophisticated, creative and cost-effective representation through collaborative teamwork, proactive legal strategies, attention to detail and relationship-oriented service.
Seiger Gfeller Laurie LLP, a law firm founded on the principle of doing things differently and better. Our mission is uncomplicated – to provide “AmLaw 100” quality legal services with a more efficient and agile business model. In contrast to the traditional law firm model, focused on the billable hour and staffing matters based on a hierarchical “pyramid,” SGL’s focus is on obtaining results for our clients in the most efficient way possible and providing excellent client service along the way.
SGL is comprised of experienced and tenacious litigators from some of the largest international law firms. We represent clients in complex litigation spanning a variety of business markets and jurisdictions, both nationally and internationally. We also advise clients on various aspects of their respective businesses. With each engagement, our approach is premised on the following fundamental principles:
- Collaboration: We partner with our clients. At the outset of each engagement, we focus on understanding our client’s objectives and we then work collaboratively to tailor cost-effective strategies for achieving the desired results. From the inception of a matter, our clients are part of the SGL team, and we utilize our clients as a critical resource. Our working style is collegial and laid back.
- Creativity / Innovation: We aim to develop an innovative approach specifically designed to reach the desired goal. In litigation, we pride ourselves on developing creative strategies and common sense themes for trial.
- Efficiency: We staff our matters with experienced lawyers who work efficiently. At the outset of a new matter, we identify the ap propriate team for its handling and maintain that continuity through the conclusion of the matter. We know that two experienced lawyers working efficiently on a matter is more cost effective than a partner and large team of less-experienced associates. Simply, we have the right talent to effectively and efficiently handle your matter.
- Client Service: We appreciate the challenges that our clients face. We understand that budgeting and reporting are critically impor tant to our clients. We pride ourselves on timely and accurate reporting. Our objective is to make our clients look good and, in general, to make their lives easier.
- Getting Results: Ultimately, it’s about results. We obtain results by providing quality work product, out-maneuvering our opponents, and thinking creatively. We have an impressive track record of resolving the most complicated matters intelligently and efficiently. We are proud of our accomplishments at trial and in settlement negotiations. Our track record of success transcends the courtroom, as we have assisted our clients in various business negotiations as well.
At SGL, we have minimized the inefficiencies of “big law” and taken advantage of current technology to reduce our overhead. That savings is passed on to our clients in the form of competitive billable rates. In addition, our non-traditional business model allows us to offer alternative billing arrangements.
Ultimately, we enjoy what we do. We enjoy working together and with our clients. We believe that strong, collaborative personal relationships are essential to both our mutual success and satisfaction. We look forward to getting to know you, working with you, and obtaining great results on your behalf.
John D. North is chair of the Litigation Department at Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP. He focuses his practice in litigation, with an emphasis on trial practice. Mr. North has tried jury and non-jury cases in state and federal courts, including over 75 jury cases to verdict. He is certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney. A significant portion of Mr. North’s practice is devoted to construction litigation and to the defense of catastrophic injury and other high exposure cases in the areas of negligence, public entity liability, and professional liability. Mr. North is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. He is listed in Super Lawyers, Benchmark Litigation, Chambers USA and in four practice areas in Best Lawyers including “Bet-the-Company” Litigation. Mr. North is the author of the evidence treatise A Trial Lawyer’s Strategic Guide to the New Jersey Rules of Evidence, and is the only New Jersey lawyer selected as a principal author of Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts, contributing the chapter in the treatise devoted to Medical Malpractice.
Mark D. Shifton, Esq. is a Senior Partner in the Princeton, New Jersey and New York City offices of Seiger Gfeller Laurie LLP. Mark focuses his practice in the areas of complex civil and commercial litigation in the state and federal courts in New Jersey and New York, and has extensive experience representing clients in catastrophic property loss and injury claims and litigation. Mark also routinely represents owners, design professionals, and contractors in construction disputes, and advises clients about the rapidly-evolving standards and developments in green building and sustainable development. Mark has been accredited as a LEED Green Associate by the Green Building Certification Institute, and is the editor of Green Building/Construction Law (www.greenbuildingconstructionlaw.com), a blog dealing with the legal issues surrounding green building, sustainability, and the construction industry.
Mark has spoken widely on issues such as construction disputes, construction risk management, and green building before a wide variety of organizations, such as the American Institute of Architects (AIA), Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM), Defense Research Institute (DRI), National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), and the Property & Liability Resource Bureau (PLRB).
Mark currently serves as the Co Vice Program Chair for the DRI’s Construction Law Committee, as well as the Co-Chair of the New Jersey Defense Association’s Construction Law Committee. Mark is also the Immediate Past Chair of the Building Products Specialized Litigation Group of the DRI’s Product Liability Committee, and is a past Chair of the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Product Liability and Mass Tort Section.
Mark earned his law degree from Fordham University School of Law in New York City. Mark is a graduate of the David Rhoads American Inn of Court, and was named a “Rising Star” by the New Jersey edition of Super Lawyers from 2011 through 2017.