Seyfarth Shaw LLP has more than 850 attorneys and provides a broad range of legal services in the areas of intellectual property, labor and employment, employee benefits, litigation, corporate and real estate. With offices in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, London, Los Angeles, Melbourne, New York, Sacramento, San Francisco, Shanghai, Sydney and Washington, D.C., Seyfarth’s clients include over 300 of the Fortune 500 companies and reflect virtually every industry and segment of the economy. A recognized leader in delivering value and innovation for legal services, Seyfarth’s acclaimed SeyfarthLean client service model has earned numerous accolades from a variety of highly respected third parties, including industry associations, consulting firms and media. For more information, please visit www.seyfarth.com.
Kilpatrick Townsend has over two hundred lawyers in the patent field covering a wide range of technologies and industries. Our record of helping our clients grow and protect innovative businesses and products has been recognized repeatedly:
- Tier 1: US News - Best Lawyers® 2016 “Best Law Firms” Rankings for Patent Law and Litigation – Intellectual Property.
- The Best Lawyers in America®; top-listed in the nation for Patent Law and Litigation – Intellectual Property.
- IAM Patent 1000 - The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners: highest National ranking in Patent Prosecution.
- “U.S. Patent Prosecution Firm of the Year” (Managing Intellectual Property 2013).
Kilpatrick Townsend has a deep and diverse patent bench brings to bear a wide range of experience and specialized knowledge to patent matters. Our competitive advantage is derived from our comprehensive understanding of technology and of the law. For example:
- More than 200 Kilpatrick Townsend lawyers and patent agents are registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Our lawyers hold scientific and engineering degrees in virtually every technical discipline, ranging from electronics to the life sciences.
- More than 50 of our patent lawyers hold PhDs in their fields, and nearly 100 of our attorneys and technical and scientific staff have master’s degrees.
- Our patent group includes former engineers, scientists, patent examiners and federal law clerks.
- Our patent prosecution practice is organized into three main technology teams:
- Chemistry and Life Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering and Medical Devices
- Electronic Engineering and Software
- Our technology teams meet regularly to stay abreast of relevant developments in their area and discuss strategies for improving prosecution skills and practices.
In short, there is rarely an occasion where a client approaches us with technology not familiar to someone within our patent practice.
Dean L. Fanelli, Ph.D. is a partner in the Intellectual Property Department of Seyfarth Shaw LLP’s Washington, D.C. office. Dr. Fanelli’s expertise lies in patent portfolio creation and management, counseling, technology transactions, due diligence, opinion work, including drafting novelty, freedom-to-operate, and invalidity opinions, and inter partes review and post grant review proceedings. Dr. Fanelli also has significant experience with the interplay between patent and FDA laws under the Hatch-Waxman Act, and he regularly handles IP issues attendant to mergers, acquisitions, and financing for life sciences companies as well as ANDA analyses associated with Hatch-Waxman paragraph IV litigation.
Dr. Fanelli received his J.D. from The George Washington University Law School and received his Ph.D. in organic chemistry from Temple University, where he studied the syntheses of biologically active amino acids and amino acid derivatives under the supervision of Dr. Franklin A. Davis.
Keith Fredlake is a registered patent attorney who focuses his practice on intellectual property matters, including drafting and prosecuting patent applications, primarily in the chemical and life sciences industry including chemistry, chemical engineering, oil & gas-petrochemicals, medical devices and pharmaceuticals. Mr. Fredlake works with clients on design patents and he also counsels clients on issues regarding the patentability of inventions, patent rights in foreign countries, and the infringement and validity of U.S. patents.
Mr. Fredlake’s patent practice includes performing portfolio review for clients, including freedom-to-operate, invalidity, patentability and opposition searches. He is also experienced in the preparation of invalidity and non-infringement options for utility and design patents.