CFIUS Under the New Administration: Uncovering Significant Developments
During the campaign trail and the early months of his presidency, President Donald Trump has been critical towards foreign trade and foreign competition, suggesting potential separation of the U.S. from international trade agreements. His statements have left expectations of multipronged approach to foreign direct investments and potential modifications to the Committee of Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) review process. With these likely changes, it is important for both U.S. and foreign companies to monitor developments and understand how CFIUS review process works. It will also help to closely consider the potential national and/or economic security aspects of any international transactions and how CFIUS reviews would apply.
In this LIVE Webcast, a panel of distinguished professionals and thought leaders organized by The Knowledge Group will discuss the current trends and the potential developments in CFIUS under the Trump Administration and its implications to foreign investments in the U.S.
Key topics include:
- Background of CFIUS
- Trends in Outcomes of CFIUS Reviews
- Managing CFIUS Scrutiny and Sensitivities
- Obtaining CFIUS Clearance under Trump
- Foreign Investment in the Trump Administration
Dr. Bijan Kasraie, Founding Member
Kasraie & Fodor, LLC
- Background and History
- Events which lead into formation of CFIUS and FINSA (1974 - 2007)
- Covered Transaction
- How it works: Steps and Options
- When to file
- Balancing Act: National Security and Business Interest
- Bilateral Investment Treaties
- Involvement of OFAC?
Mark V. Heusel, Member
- Current update
- Current trends and Administration statements
- Current cases pending
- ITAR and CFIUS
Who Should Attend:
- Attorneys (Foreign Investment; National Security, International Trade Practice)
- Compliance Officers
- Compliance Professionals
- Target Companies for Foreign investment
- General Counsel
- Regulatory and Policy Managers
- Senior Management
- Prospective investors in U.S. Companies and Their Advisers
- Other Related/Interested Professionals and Organizations
Dr. Kasraie is a founding member of Kasraie & Fodor, LLC. He has well over 30 years of legal and executive business experience in several industries, including banking, finance, energy, real estate, manufacturing, recycling, IT, and pharmaceuticals. He has resolved legal, financial, corporate and political issues in a number of foreign countries, including the UAE, U.K., France, Germany, Switzerland, Finland, Netherlands, Italy, Russia, Romania, Turkey, Poland, Republic of Georgia, Egypt, Morocco, Kuwait, India, Pakistan, Peoples' Republic of China (“PRC”), Taiwan, and Canada. He has been Financial & Economic Advisor to city governments of PRC, since 1997. He holds several advanced degrees, including a J.D. and a Ph.D. in engineering.
In the late nineties, Dr. Kasraie co-founded the law firm of Marchman & Kasraie, LLC. The firm was active in corporate and security law, international law, and family law. He was managing member of the law firm. In 2012, he co-founded the law firm of Kasraie & Fodor, LLC, with similar activities.
Interviewed by Lawyer Monthly Magazine (UK) about International Trade (2016), Thought Leader’s series. (Available for download: Magazine Interview).
- Co-authored the book UNDERSTANDING INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL CONTRACTS (2015, Thompson Reuters). Available on Amazon by clicking on the following link: https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-International-Commercial-Contracts-Perspectives/dp/0314294074 .
- Co-Authored a webcast, “CIFIUS and FINSA” and their impact on international business partnership (2016, Knowledge Group). (Available for download: Final Webcast)
- Sole distinguished professor for a seminar called “MIDSTREAM CONTRACTS” (2015, EUCI, Texas) (Available for download: Oil & Gas Seminar) (EUCI is a leading provider of conferences, seminars, workshops and courses designed exclusively for the energy industry)
- Co-authored a webinar, “YOU EARNED IT-YOU KEEP IT” (Georgia 2014), an instructional webinar about protecting your assets. (Available for download: Asset Protection Book)
- Instructor for a seminar called “DOING BUSINESS IN CHINA” (2008)
Dr. Kasraie is a founding member of Kasraie & Fodor, LLC. He has well over 30 years of legal and …
Mr. Heusel resides in Dickinson Wright’s Michigan offices. He is an experienced commercial business attorney and serves as Director of the Firm’s China Practice Group. He has over 20 years of experience in representing multi-national companies in the manufacturing, retail and automotive industries. Mr. Heusel also has substantial experience in international transactions, employment matters, real estate, business matters and dispute resolution. He advises companies on a variety of business and commercial issues and serves as general counsel and trusted advisor to many of his clients.
As counselor, he advises his international clients on all matters related to doing business in the United States and China. His recent prominent assignments include representing many OEM and tier 1, 2 and 3 clients in forming business ventures in the United States and China, cultivating millions of dollars of foreign investment in the U.S., and managing all of his clients’ legal needs from business formation through early and later stage growth. Mr. Heusel works closely with his China Team and economic development partners to assist clients in a variety of ways to ameliorate their transition into the US marketplace, including corporate registration, mergers and acquisitions, immigration planning, site selection, commercial transactions, workplace issues, and a variety of other commercial matters that impact companies on a daily basis.
Mr. Heusel resides in Dickinson Wright’s Michigan offices. He is an experienced commercial business attorney and serves as Director of …
Print and review course materials
Method of Presentation:
Experience in foreign investment & transactions
NASBA Field of Study:
NY Category of CLE Credit:
Areas of Professional Practice
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3
Get Your 1-Year All Access Pass For Only $199
About Kasraie & Fodor, LLC
The goal of Kasraie & Fodor is to simplify the issues and find solutions for their clients. The firm creates tailor-made structures to protect their clients’ wealth, as well as advises its clients with regards to all facets of oil and gas investment. The firm also provides advice and guidance throughout the complex and often perplexing process of establishing a joint ventures or wholly-owned subsidiaries in almost all countries of the world. Whether the clients are trying to form a domestic or international business structure, plan a domestic or international merger /acquisition, get involved with oil and gas ventures, protect their wealth, negotiate a contract, or have import/export ideas, Kasraie & Fodor has the expertise to help.
About Dickinson Wright
Dickinson Wright PLLC is a general practice business law firm with more than 425 attorneys among more than 40 practice areas. Headquartered in Detroit and founded in 1878, the firm has eighteen offices in Michigan, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Nevada, Arizona, Washington, D.C., and Toronto.