Trends and Best Practices in Business Valuation in 2014
In this two hour live webcast, the Knowledge Group has assembled a panel of thought leaders to provide an in-depth discussion and analysis regarding business valuation best practices. This session will cover the following:
- Background on the continuously evolving business valuation landscape
- Overview of relevant premises of value and important considerations related to the scoping / engagement process
- Discussion related to project types as well as approaches, methodologies, and models – including key issues and common errors to avoid
- Fulfilling requirements and developing supportable valuations to anticipate reviews by overseeing authorities (including the IRS and the SEC) as well as other parties (including auditors and opposing parties in a dispute)
- Trends related to fair value and fair market value developments, as well as lessons from key tax court cases
Marks Paneth LLP
- Differences between Fair market value vs. fair value.
- Latest trends and challenges on approaches to valuation of small and medium sized businesses.
- Updates on determination of discount rates.
- Latest on discounts for lack of control and lack of marketability and other adjustments.
- Most recent tax court cases.
Clairent Advisors LLC
- Differences between Fair market value vs. fair value
Who Should Attend:
- CPAs, auditors, and tax professionals
- Valuation analysts and practitioners
- Attorneys involved in business valuations – including tax, trust & estates, dispute resolution and litigation, M&A, intellectual property, family law, bankruptcy and reorganization, and real estate
- Public and private company accounting and finance executives – including CFOs, controllers, directors of finance, SEC reporting directors, and accounting / finance managers
- Wealth managers and advisors
- Investment banking and private equity professionals
- Family office executives and managers
Angela Sadang, CFA, ASA, is a Director in the Litigation and Corporate Financial Advisory Services Group at Marks Paneth LLP. Ms. Sadang specializes in business valuation and has more than 15 years of experience providing corporate financial consulting services and performing valuations. She serves both publicly traded and closely held companies in a wide range of industries that also involves various asset classes.
Her valuation experience includes business enterprise and intangible asset valuation for financial and tax reporting, gift/estate tax compliance, family wealth planning and ownership succession, litigation support, shareholder disputes, ESOPs, going private or public, fairness and solvency, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, reorganizations, and transfer pricing. Most of her assignments include valuation of minority and controlling interests in the capital stock of closely held corporations, publicly traded securities and restricted securities, and preferred stock warrants, options, and debt securities. Ms. Sadang is also experienced in the valuation of intangible assets and intellectual property, including trademarks/tradenames, patents, customer relationships, employee contracts, and technology.
Ms. Sadang started her consulting career at a Big Four professional services firm where she was involved in numerous transfer pricing and tax valuation projects for both U.S. and foreign multinational companies in the financial services, manufacturing, technology, pharmaceutical, consumer, and retail industries. She has subsequently held senior positions in the valuation consulting practices of other professional services firms in the New York metropolitan area.
Before joining the consulting industry, Ms. Sadang worked in the financial services industry at JP Morgan Securities and Schroders PLC focusing on institutional equity research covering the Asian equity markets.
Ms. Sadang is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) as designated by the CFA Institute. She is also an Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) with specialty in business valuation as designated by the American Society of Appraisers. She holds a Master’s Degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance from The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. She is based in Marks Paneth’s midtown Manhattan headquarters.
Angela Sadang, CFA, ASA, is a Director in the Litigation and Corporate Financial Advisory Services Group at Marks Paneth LLP. …
Josette Ferrer is the founder, CEO, and a Managing Director of Clairent Advisors. Since 1993, Josette has been assisting clients with the valuation of intangible assets, intellectual property, closely held businesses and business interests, stock options, debt instruments, and capital equipment / fixed assets.
Prior to founding Clairent Advisors, Josette was the U.S. Practice Leader of Marsh’s Valuation Services Group. Her career includes serving as the Managing Director responsible for starting the San Francisco Valuation Services Group of WTAS, Inc. (now operating as Andersen Tax), a former subsidiary of HSBC Group. Prior to WTAS, Josette was a director with Huron Consulting Group and a senior manager at Arthur Andersen LLP.
Josette has been a guest speaker for a wide variety of forums, including Financial Executives International, the American Bar Association, the Institute of Management Accountants, CalCPA, and the Practising Law Institute. She holds a B.S. in Business Administration, from U.C. Berkeley.
Josette Ferrer is the founder, CEO, and a Managing Director of Clairent Advisors. Since 1993, Josette has been assisting clients …
Print and review course materials
Method of Presentation:
On-demand Webcast (CLE)
NASBA Field of Study:
Specialized Knowledge and Applications
NY Category of CLE Credit:
2.0 CPE (Not eligible for QAS (On-demand) CPE credits)
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3
Get Your 1-Year All Access Pass For Only $199
About Marks Paneth LLP
Marks Paneth LLP is an accounting firm with over 500 people, of whom approximately 65 are partners and principals. The firm provides public and private businesses with a full range of auditing, accounting, tax, consulting, bankruptcy and restructuring services as well as litigation and corporate financial advisory services to domestic and international clients. The firm also specializes in providing tax advisory and consulting for high-net-worth individuals and their families, and a wide range of services for international, real estate, media, entertainment, nonprofit, professional and financial services, and energy clients.
Marks Paneth, whose origins date back to 1907, is the 33rd largest accounting firm in the nation and 10th largest in the mid-Atlantic region. New York Law Journal readers rank Marks Paneth as one of the area’s top three forensic accounting firms for the fifth year in a row. Visit www.markspaneth.com.
About Clairent Advisors LLC
Clairent Advisors specializes in providing independent asset and business valuations – combining proven techniques, analytical tools, and extensive experience to produce thorough and well-documented deliverables. Clairent’s team has significant experience providing valuations and financial advisory services for a variety of needs, including, but not limited to: financial reporting, tax planning and reporting, mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganization and bankruptcy, and litigation support. Clients have valued Clairent’s credentials – with experience on over 600 significant valuation engagements – coupled with the responsiveness and focus from senior level team members on all aspects of a project. Serving both U.S. as well as international clients, Clairent is based in San Francisco, California.