Anti-Corruption Compliance: Trends and Developments in 2020 and Beyond
The implementation of anti-corruption programs has become more proactive over the past years. Multinational corporations have continued to prioritize investments with strong anti-corruption initiatives. Additionally, jurisdictions have taken significant measures to improve their legislative framework against bribery by requiring businesses to follow internal policies and regulations.
Because failure to comply and counter corruption can adversely affect a company’s financial health and profitability, it is important to become updated with the latest anti-corruption trends and developments to avoid noncompliance with local and international laws.
In this LIVE Webcast, seasoned regulatory & compliance experts Gary Gao (Zhong Lun Law Firm) and Lindi Jarvis (FTI Consulting) will provide the audience with an in-depth analysis of the recent developments in the anti-corruption landscape. Speakers will also present practical tips and strategies to ensure compliance and mitigate risks.
Key topics include:
- Trends and Developments in Anti-Corruption Enforcement
- Legislative Framework Against Bribery
- Risks and Challenges
- Tips and Strategies
- What Lies Ahead
Lindi Jarvis, Senior Managing Director
DOJ Guidance and How to Approach the Recommendations
- Key takeaways from the June 2020 revised guidance
- Analyzing key performance indicators based on the revised guidance
- Investigation complications during COVID
Compliance in the face of economic and travel related barriers caused by COVID
- Building a culture of ethics and compliance even when resources are limited
- Taking deliberate steps to continue to re-affirm the organization’s positive tone at the top and the importance of legal and policy compliance and ethical conduct during times of crisis. Specific examples to be discussed can include:
- Risk assessments
- Training & communications
- Third party risk management
- Using data analytics – examples that companies and compliance officers can put in their tool kit
Gary Gao, Partner, Head of Compliance Department
Zhong Lun Law Firm
- Trends in overseas regulatory enforcement: (i) PRC government and authorities become more active and confident to initiate domestic or participate in international investigations related to DOJ/SFO/PNF’s anti-corruption cases. (ii) Cross-border sanction approaches become more comprehensive and full-sided compared to the traditional anti-corruption target.
- Conflicts in PRC anti-corruption enforcement: On the one hand, the current financial difficulties make the PRC authorities more tolerant of grey zone market promotion. However, on the other hand, the authorities tend to use anti-corruption enforcement as a tool to gain income. How to dive through this dynamic status requires enterprises’ open mind and enhancement in their compliance management.
- The worldwide spread of nationalism and the protection of national sovereignty draw thicker barriers to carry on cross-border anti-corruption investigations. But in some areas, there could be more corporation from China.
Who Should Attend:
- White-Collar Crime Attorneys
- Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption Lawyers
- Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption Officers
- Regulatory and Policy Managers
- Compliance Executives
- Corporate Governance Lawyers
- In-house Counsel
- Top Level Management
Mr. Gary GAO is a partner and the Head of Compliance Department of Zhong Lun Law Firm. He has got LLM in UK and his working languages are English and Chinese. He has over 25 years of law practicing experience. Before admitted by PRC Bar in 1995, he worked as a criminal judge in a district court in Shanghai from 1990 to 1995. Mr. Gary GAO was consecutively recommended in Corporate Investigation/Anti-bribery by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020, Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019 and Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018. Besides, Mr. Gary GAO was honored as "The A-List China's elite 100 lawyers 2019" by China Business Law Journal, the 2019 "Band 1 Lawyer of Compliance" and "2019 China Top 10 Lawyers – Government Affairs" by LegalBand, the 2017 "Regulatory & Compliance Lawyer of the Year" by China Law & Practice and the 2016 "Client Choice Top 20 Lawyer" by ALB.
Mr. Gary GAO is a partner and the Head of Compliance Department of Zhong Lun Law Firm. He has got …
Lindi Jarvis is a Senior Managing Director at FTI Consulting and is based in Seattle. As a forensic accountant, she leads some of FTI’s largest global investigations including those involving investigations of: specific issues related to financial reporting; misappropriation of assets; and white-collar crime allegations. Ms. Jarvis’ anti-bribery and anti-corruption experience includes leading financial and forensic accounting investigations on a global basis, including investigating allegations of inappropriate behaviour and suspected violations of the FCPA by U.S. corporations, agents, distributors or foreign operating divisions. Ms. Jarvis has experience leading a global team in support of several U.S. government-appointed monitors subsequent to an anti-corruption investigation. She regularly works with companies to review their compliance programs, policies and procedures and implement stronger internal controls.
Lindi Jarvis is a Senior Managing Director at FTI Consulting and is based in Seattle. As a forensic accountant, she …
Print and review course materials
Method of Presentation:
On-demand Webcast (CLE); Group-Internet Based
General knowledge of anti-corruption laws
NY Category of CLE Credit:
Areas of Professional Practice
NASBA Field of Study:
Business Law - Technical
1.0 CPE (Not eligible for QAS (On-demand) CPE credits)
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3
Get Your 1-Year All Access Pass For Only $199
About Zhong Lun Law Firm
Founded in 1993, Zhong Lun Law Firm was one of the first private law partnerships to receive approval from the Ministry of Justice. After years of rapid development and steady growth, today Zhong Lun is one of the largest full service law firms in China. With over 310 partners and over 2100 professionals working in eighteen offices in Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Wuhan, Chengdu, Chongqing, Qingdao, Hangzhou, Nanjing, Haikou，Tokyo, Hong Kong, London, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Almaty. Zhong Lun is capable of providing clients with high-quality legal services in more than 60 countries across a wide range of industries and sectors through our specialized expertise and close teamwork.
Zhong Lun’s outstanding work has achieved broad recognition and its practice groups and lawyers are frequently cited and recommended in their respective markets by distinguished legal media groups such as Chambers & Partners, Asia Law & Practice, Asian Legal Business, International Financial Law Review and others.
About FTI Consulting
FTI Consulting is an independent global business advisory firm dedicated to helping organizations manage change, mitigate risk and resolve disputes: financial, legal, operational, political & regulatory, reputational and transactional. Individually, each practice is a leader in its specific field, staffed with experts recognized for the depth of their knowledge and a track record of making an impact. Collectively, FTI Consulting offers a comprehensive suite of services designed to assist clients across the business cycle – from proactive risk management to the ability to respond rapidly to unexpected events and dynamic environments.