Advertising Sweepstakes and Contests for Social Media for 2014 and Beyond
Overview:In a two hour live webcast, a panel of thought leaders and practitioners assembled by The Knowledge Group will discuss the significant issues and latest insights on how to strengthen your understanding of Sweepstakes and Contests Advertising in Social Media for this year and beyond.
Key topics include:
- Advertising sweepstakes and contests in social media 2014: an overview
- Dos and don’ts when doing online contests advertisement
- Practical tips for a successful online sweepstakes and contests advertising
- Issues surrounding online sweepstakes and contests advertising
- Up-to-minute regulatory updates
Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Sweepstakes/Games of Chance – Avoiding the Element of Consideration (discuss the elements of an illegal lottery/non-monetary consideration/“alternate means of entry”)
- Contests/Games of Skill – What is a Game of Skill? (discuss state law tests)
- State Law Considerations for designing a lawful promotion (especially in the “skill” game arena, state law can reach out and grab you)
- Tips for Drafting Official Rules (this is a broad topic – how in-the-details should we get?)
- Are we covering “social gaming”? Virtual currency?
Gray Reed & McGraw, PC
- Making the rules clear – protecting the brand from highjacking
- Case studies of contests gone bad
- Protecting yourself from defamation claims
- Should we pick on the competitor?
- Do I need to know the rules for all 50 states?
Greenberg Traurig, LLP
- Following Platform Rules – Specific do’s & don’ts for promotions on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Going Global – What happens when you open your promotion to people outside the U.S.
- Endorsement Disclosure – When may consumer photos or videos in social become “endorsements” for your product that require disclosure?
- Rights in User Generated Content – What rights do you have in UGC? Which ones to you need? How to get them? Best practices.
- Flooding the Funnel – Where and how to make required disclosures with limited space.
- CAN-SPAM – When is the sponsor deemed the “initiator” of refer-a-friend messages sent by entrants to their friends, and what is required for compliance.
Who Should Attend:- Attorneys and Consultants for Public Companies
- Marketing Officers
- Marketing and Advertising Professionals
- Compliance, Risk and IT Officers
- Legal Risk Officers and Administrators
- Managers who oversee employees utilizing social media
- And other Related/Interested Professionals
Kate counsels many of the world's premier gaming companies on regulatory issues in connection with mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring, reorganizations and financings. She also advises many of the firm's clients on issues related to Internet gaming, social gaming, sweepstakes, contests and promotions. In addition to her gaming work, Kate is the Pro Bono Coordinator for Brownstein’s Las Vegas office. In recognition of her pro bono contributions, ABA Journal Magazine featured Kate in its February 2013 cover story regarding lawyers who are deeply committed to providing pro bono legal services. Kate is a member of the International Association of Gaming Advisors and International Masters of Gaming Law. She received her J.D. from Emory University School of Law and her B.A. in International Relations from Stanford University.
Kate counsels many of the world's premier gaming companies on regulatory issues in connection with mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring, reorganizations and …
Travis Crabtree left a television news career after graduating from the University of Missouri School of Journalism to assist creative people embarking on innovative online endeavors. While his original legal intentions were to represent newspapers on First Amendment cases in front of the Supreme Court, the Internet is the new medium for emerging legal issues that allows him to follow those same passions for Gray Reed & McGraw, P.C.’s clients. Like journalism itself, Mr. Crabtree’s practice is evolving to stay ahead of online trends before they become expensive legal issues. He writes about those issues on his blog www.emedilaw.com.
Travis Crabtree left a television news career after graduating from the University of Missouri School of Journalism to assist creative people …
Edward B. Chansky is a Shareholder in Greenberg Traurig’s Global Intellectual Property & Technology Practice Group. He practices in the areas of e-commerce, internet, sweepstakes, promotions, advertising, intellectual property, and trade regulation law. A trusted advisor to many national companies, he is also a frequent speaker at seminars and conferences on advertising and promotion law topics, including Advergaming, social media, social gaming, sweepstakes, privacy, gift cards, coupon and rebate offers, and charitable promotions. He is a co-author of the legal chapter in the Sales Promotion Handbook (Dartnell, 8th Ed. 1994), and a contributor to the ABA Section of Antitrust Law’s, Consumer Protection Law Developments (2009), as well as to Ian Ballon’s multi-volume eCommerce and Internet Law: Teatise With Forms, Thomson West, 3d, 2012. He has served on the Board of Directors of the Promotion Marketing Association (now Brand Activation Association), and is a former chair of the Intellectual Property Law Section of the Connecticut Bar Association. Ed graduated from Yale University (summa cum laude and phi beta kappa) in 1982, and from Harvard Law School (cum laude) in 1987. He served as a law clerk for Associate Justice Ruth I. Abrams of the Massachusetts Judicial Court.
Edward B. Chansky is a Shareholder in Greenberg Traurig’s Global Intellectual Property & Technology Practice Group. He practices in the …
Print and review course materials
Method of Presentation:
NASBA Field of Study:
NY Category of CLE Credit:
Areas of Professional Practice
Unlock All The Knowledge and Credit You Need
Leading Provider of Online Continuing Education
It's As Easy as 1, 2, 3
Get Your 1-Year All Access Pass For Only $199
About Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
Founded in 1968, Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck practices in the areas of real estate, natural resources, public policy, corporate and litigation. With more than 250 attorneys and legislative consultants in offices across the western U.S. and in Washington, D.C., and Atlantic City, the firm works in industries ranging from health care, real estate, hospitality, private equity and telecommunications, to technology, construction, energy, banking and finance, water and gaming. For more information about Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, visit www.bhfs.com.
About Gray Reed & McGraw, PC
Founded in 1985, Gray Reed & McGraw is a full-service, Texas based law firm with more than 120 lawyers practicing in Dallas, Houston and Tyler. Gray Reed & McGraw offers a wide range of legal services including business litigation, corporate transactions, oil & gas, tax planning and litigation, real estate, healthcare, trusts and estates, labor and employment law, family law, intellectual property and bankruptcy. For more information, visit https://www.www.grayreed.com.
About Greenberg Traurig, LLP
Greenberg Traurig is an international law firm with approximately 1750 attorneys and governmental affairs professionals. The firm offers clients local resources and capabilities in 36 financial, business and government centers, including more U.S. locations than any other Top 10 law firm on The National Law Journal’s 2013 NLJ 250. Greenberg Traurig provides integrated legal services for clients worldwide. The firm offers multidisciplinary teams that include senior lawyers who have been the chief legal officers at major multinational companies and have spent years solving real-world problems in the business, political and legal arenas. Teams are built around client needs, ensuring lean staffing, front-end planning and flexible billing, where appropriate. Experience in multiple practice areas and a network of resources and contacts position the firm to help clients address their objectives.
Greenberg Traurig serves clients from locations in Albany, NY; Amsterdam, The Netherlands; Atlanta, GA; Austin, TX; Boca Raton, FL; Boston, MA; Chicago, IL; Dallas, TX; Denver, CO; Fort Lauderdale, FL; Houston, TX; Las Vegas, NV; London, UK; Los Angeles, CA; Mexico City, Mexico; Miami, FL; Morristown, NJ; New York, NY; Orange County, CA; Orlando, FL; Philadelphia, PA; Phoenix, AZ; Sacramento, CA; San Francisco, CA; Shanghai, China; Seoul, South Korea; Silicon Valley, CA; Tallahassee, FL; Tampa, FL; Tel Aviv, Israel; Tysons Corner, VA; Warsaw, Poland; Washington, D.C.; West Palm Beach, FL; White Plains, NY; and Wilmington, DE. Additionally, the firm has established a strategic alliance with the independent law firm Studio Santa Maria in Milan and Rome.