Good News for New York Lawyers & CLE Compliance
by: The Knowledge Group
Heads up, New York attorneys. There’s a new CLE requirement added to the two-year compliance cycle.
Lawyers admitted in New York, who are due for re-registration on or after July 1, 2018, must now take one credit hour or more in Diversity, Inclusion, and the Elimination of Bias.
The new anti-bias credit hour can include education on bias and inclusion related to religion, disability, age, ethnicity, race, national origin, gender and gender identity, or sexual orientation.
Good News: NY Adds Anti-Bias Education Requirement—Yet Adds No Hours to the Lawyer’s Total Load
Here are the ways New York makes this change seamless for its attorneys:
- The change does NOT increase the total CLE minimum: 24 credit hours every two years.
- All 24 credit hours may still be completed online.
- As before, experienced lawyers must have, within that minimum, 4 Ethics and Professionalism hours.
The compliance date for New York lawyers is the attorney’s date of birth. CLE credits must be reported within 30 days after the attorney’s birthday.
What New Attorneys Need to Know
Newly admitted? Be sure to take 16 hours in EACH of your first two years, including:
- Ethics and professionalism (3 credit hours)
- Legal Skills (6 credit hours)
- Law practice management or professional practice (7 hours)
The Knowledge Group proudly presents CLE education for new and experienced lawyers alike and welcomes the legal profession’s dedication to eliminating bias in the field, as well as our state compliance bundle. Whether you’re in need of a specific credit or your entire requirement we can meet your needs. Click here to view our New York CLE bundle, or view our extensive webcast library by clicking here.